On 09/06/10 21:21, Anton Preinsack wrote:
Am 09.06.2010 um 21:17 schrieb Martin Wheatley:

I came on this list a couple of days ago.  I was a QL user for
many years and a regular attender at the London group. Some
of you may even remember me
I stopped using the QL a number of years ago and moved
out of London.     In an idle moment I wondered what was
happening and rejoined the list.
The thing that is immediately worrying is that so far every one who
has posted is someone whose name I know.  If no one new
and active has come in during the last few years then the
big bell is tolling!

martinw

I am kind of new here (although I owned a QL in the late 80ies).

It started with a QL I bought on Ebay last year. In the meantime I own a Q40,
two QLs and use QPC3. The QL brought my interest for coding back. Its more fun
to code for a simple (but elegant) system like the QL. So I train my skills in
SuperBasic and Assembler at the moment and hope, that this ends in new programs
for the QL from me.

So it´s not impossible, that at least users, who owned a QL in the past come
back. I also noticed, that there is a high interest on QLs on ebay.

What I miss (but what is understandable, because of the costs) is the lack of
new hardware.

Especially (apart from new Q60s;-)) some kind of SD-/CF-card-reader for the QL
would be nice. Urs Koenig hit on this idea at the QL-meeting in Vienna last
weekend. I knew from people, who bought a  QL on ebay, but couldn´t use it,
because of the microdrives and the lack of an easy way to transfer software
from the internet to the QL (I know, that there are disk-interfaces, but for an
QL-newbie its not so easy, to buy and use a disk-drive on the QL).

With an SD/CF-card-reader someone would be able to "load" the SD/CF-card on the
PC with software and then use it on a QL. There are similar solutions for the C64 or the
Sinclair Spectrum.

Hi Anton,

SD/SF Card Readers are quite easy to do, most CF readers can plug into the IDE Interface. But the card has to be formatted to SMSQ/E or QDOS.

Reading and writing to FAT formatted Card is another story, no device drivers.

You might be interested to that only QL I do not have is non-working Thor 8, that I am trying to get up and running.

I do not the think QL is dying, just the people who used to use it have moved onto other systems.
--

Regards

Derek