Rich Mellor wrote, on 10/Jun/10 06:07 | Jun10:

<snip>

As for Marcel's and Jochen's comments about posting information on wikis being regarded as self-advertising - well, there are some views on this: 1. Surely the software / hardware designers are best positioned to provide the background of the hardware and software? 2. The internet may be aimed at providing information, but 99% of sites (including wikis) are used for promotion of business - after all, not many people can afford to set up and maintain a website longterm without it providing some source of revenue. If someone is interested in reading about QPC2 for example, why leave it open ended as to where they can now obtain a copy from ? That is like telling someone about a wonderful product which will change their lives immensely, but if they want to get hold of it, sorry - just look on google and see if anyone else has listed it for sale... 3. What is wrong with self-promotion? Surely anyone who writes a CV out and puts it online on a job site is doing just that thing and nobody would argue against doing that.

You will find that most QL hardware and software is already documented, by Rich I think. I see no harm in my going in and correcting what is there, and there was quite a bit of that! Mind you I am now not actively trading, although I keep having to do things behind the scene. For instance Rich has some secondhand Minervae and I am repairing them (well I will when he sends them to me (8-)# ). Also the chat about Minerva manuals pushed me into finishing the OCR job I started a long long time ago (thanks Dilwyn). I must say Rich is doing a great job selling my shed-rescued stock. Derek Stewart completely filled his car with it! As I found out from Urs, I had some historic old pcbs in the collection. Unfortunately I believe most pcbs have now been scrapped. They were a great source of spare parts, which could be heat-gun desoldered. I suspect a lot were actually working, but I never got around to fully checking. These were from a vast quantity of QL parts I bought from a trader living in East London, near Ilford I think. I have forgotten his name - can anyone remember? He died I believe in the early 90s.

Tony

--
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
       t...@firshman.co.uk     http://firshman.co.uk