On 15 Jun 2010, at 23:29, Roy Wood wrote:

> The QL was a business computer in concept. Very few games of any note. Right
> now, as was pointed out earlier, there is no decent word processor and no
> other, modern, usable, software. QPC2 runs just fine on my W7 machine, but
> why would I use it? If I was a new user what would make me want to buy it and
> run it?

I use QPC2 for doing horrible things like tax returns for which I wrote Archive
programs a very long time ago. Rewriting for a PC or whatever is just not an
option for me.

I also use QPC2 for programming, both in SBASIC especially for quick one off
results, and in Assembler. I have tried Visual Basic on a PC and I did not like
it. Assembler on Intel chips is pretty ghastly. A new user of QPC2, say, would,
I imagine, almost certainly want to use it for programming - and almost
certainly not for the word processors etc available.

Quite obviously, QPC2 would not be an alternative to a PC but would be one of
the applications a PC could run.

> On my W7  and XP machines I run music software, word processing and
> spreadsheets, email, photo manipulation  and website creation software. What
> is there on the QL side of things that matches this? The QL was fun to
> program in SuperBASIC ( I never got any further) and, back 18 years ago,
> would multitask when most PCs could not (nor can the iPAD), but it was
> rapidly overtaken by modern hardware and software.
>
> What I was saying before still applies. If you want to keep it alive you need
> to keep the scene alive. You need innovation and you need some sort of
> commercial operation. I know that there are a whole bumch of 'free software'
> guerillas out there but no free software has ever matched the commercial
> stuff - sad as that may be.

Hm. I thought Firefox was free software. When RBS stopped allowing me to use
Safari on an IMAC for their online banking I had to use the PC's version of
Firefox, which RBS accepted. I also use, on a PC, a free version of a screen
grabber. (On QPC2 I prefer my own!)

George