Right, if you want to read what I am replying to you will have to go back to Norman's eloquent reply to my ..... well you get the picture.

I fear I was a touch spartan when I referred to free software. I do use Firefox and some of the add-ons for that and there is a wonderful free application for Windows call 'Irfan View' which has the dual attribiutes of combining the fastest graphics viewing program I have found (for Windows) with a lot of useful functions and a great little front end for the scanner. I am typing this in Thunderbird (which I don't really like but Turnpike, which dealt with these lists much better, will not run on W7. I have not found how to turn on the speal chucker which is a pain because I can't type fro toefef - there see what I mean ?

To be a tad serious, what I meant was that, as a generalisation, a commercial program has to try to go that extra inch to look a bit better, be a bit more usable and generally sell itself, Free software is like that too sometimes, but very often it stops when the author thionks it should - not the user. The other aspects of commercial software are that it gets more advertising because someone is trying to sell it and, if it sells well it gets updated and improved because there is the feedback loop of getting a bit of cash for what you do. In my view it all ground to a halt when there were no more new commercial programs. If there is no money coming back you can't afford to go to foriegn or far away shows so no shows so.....another, less pleasant, feedback loop.

When I said the QL was a business machine I meant that was how it was marketed. Sold with a suite of office oriented programs and more expensive than the spectrums of the time it was aimed at the business user more than the gamer. (I don't recall saying it was a 32 bit machine). There were games for it but nothing the retro gamers would chop their left arm off to play again. My point was that, if you are going to try to introduce people to the QL you will need something good - better than what we have now. Nothing we have on the QL will impress a MAC or PC user and many of the QL programmers decamped and pitched their tents in LINUX city so you won't get many from there either.

The problem is that all the people who want to do this 'show the QL to a wider public; trick can are doing it from inside their own little bit of QL World. It is the things they like that they push. All very natural, of course but, if you are really going to try to present it to a new public you have to find a trick, a gimmick, a good game (QWord is pretty cool, I think) a neat application, something to excite the vapid general public who watch X Factor and Big Brother, by iPads and still think a man who can kick a ball can be a genius. You see, all the users left in the QL circle now are either tinkerers of people who use Quill, Nothing wrong with that except, when you open the door to a new vistor it is like saying, 'Come in, have a fish paste sandwich, make yourself a chair and sit down'.

BTW yes I hated the root account in LINUX when I tried it and I also hated the way I had to tell it there was a hard drive and there was a CD. I tried it again, post Q40, on an old PC that I had here and I hated searching for drivers and being snottily told I could write them myself, or adapt them myself. I gather it is better now but I wanted it to work without my having to program it. Just like this machine did. I have other things to do - like the thing that I built the machine for. I have a W7 machine because, when my old motherboard popped its caps a couple of months ago I built a new one and put W7 on it so I knew my way round the O/S because people still ask me to fix the mess they make of their machines. It's fast, sometimes annoying and overly flashy but it runs 95% of the programs I need and, apart from card readers ( which seemto consistently not work), I can plug any piece of hardware in , off the shelf, and they work too.

I am not trying to be negative just to show you what you are up against and to get you to look out from the circle of users you have and see the world from a no QL Users point of view. Must get back behind taht parapet. Still it has been a lively discussion.

--
Roy Wood