To: <ql-us...@q-v-d.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] iPlayer

Dilwyn Jones wrote, on 18/Jan/11 17:31 | Jan18:
I need to ask a question which is slightly off-topic here.

Does anyone use BBC iPlayer on the same PC as the BBC iPlayer?

Urmm - what did you actually mean by that sentence.
Does anyone use it on t he same PC as QPC2 is what I meant.

I suspect you are talking about the Iplayer desktop used for playing downloaded programs.

Tony
Sure. So it's not a "program" then - it's a Windows Desktop or something like that, is that what you're saying?

I later found out there's no specific place to download it. It doesn't tell you as far as I can see that the installation method is to download a program, then it will find there's no iPlayer, try to download that, find there's no Adobe Air, so try to download that and so on. If correct (which I doubt) it implies that the last thing it downloads is the one thing it can't work without - so it downloads a gigabyte of TV programme, then the iplayer, then Adobe Air only to tell me when it gets to 99% "download failed". That's the usual story with this type of thing and it drives me absolutely insane. Here we are in 2011 and this sorts of thing happens regular as clockwork.

We've been on a forum looking for info (not the bbc one, that just came up with a blank screen) where we saw loads of people moaning about it, so for once it seems I can't blame either Windoze or my PC or my broadband.

In fact, one person says it eats bandwidth so much it's a guaranteed way to get your ISP to throttle your broadband speed. Plenty of people say if you don't live in a high speed fibre optic link area, don't bother. Others seem to get it working instantly and praise it to the hilt. Unless there's a quick fix to the problems with this iPlayer I don't intend to waste any more time on it.