On 02/02/2011 22:25, Lee Privett wrote:
Taking what has been said at face value and as a returning member of Quanta and living in the south east I am both excited and saddened by the current state of affairs, my response to each point is as follows:

1: QUANTA MAGAZINE - I would volanteer for editor but have very little experience in this matter, however I have volanteered 2: WEBSITE - same answer as above, I can certainly construct web pages so could help with that, however I do not have the experience of web site construction only content 3: SHOWS - whilst viable they should continue to be as is, but does the constitution allow for video conferencing and could it be set-up as such? 4: SOUTH EAST - I have no idea about the secretive group, but I used to quite enjoy the Essex meetings held in a pub somewhere near a forest if memory serves, I will have a go at arranging a one off in a church hall near me and see how many turn up (help anyone - Southend area?) 5: FINANCE the subscription is ridiculously low and I was surprised when paying my first one last year of how inexpensive it is, raising it to £25 seems reasaonable to me and if people stop subscribing because of it and less moneu comes in I dont see what difference it would really make in the long run, so atleast raising the subs would sort the men from the boys so to speak. 6: CONSTITUTION - I feel it should be simplified and reflect todays climate and practice.
7: SUBGROUPS - see point 4
8: KEYBOARD MEMBRANES - there are already some good ideas for projects already going on in this email/forum and should be supported, by raising the subscription then the focus can be made towards that and supporting the shortfall.

Lee Privett

Lee,

I like your enthusiasm - it is good that new (or returning) users, such as yourself, Peter Scott and Rob Heaton have this in abundance.

You should have all received an email I circulated a couple of days ago with news, and also a special offer which Quanta have agreed for new members subscribing for 3 years - this has been sent to all of my QL customers and hopefully this may see a boost in membership and help with the financial issues.

I do what I can to promote the QL, and things like the QL Forums and the QL Wiki are key to this, alongside the Quanta website which should be more of a hub - maybe showing an RSS feed of topics on the QL Forum and (maybe) even on this list.

I have always enjoyed attending Quanta shows - although I turn up as a trader, the sales are never that great, but then the chats with other QLers are invaluable. However, this year, as I am no longer able to subsidise my business through full time employment, I am seriously having to look at the cost of staying overnight in Manchester and with current attendance levels, wonder whether a 2 day show is justifiable, or whether Quanta would be better holding a one day show and AGM, and then another one day show later in the year?

The Quanta website should not be too difficult, as it is built around a content management system, so updating the content should be a matter of just editing the text.

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk