On 9/23/01 at 1:14 PM Peter Graf wrote:

>>> You must have had a lot of insider knowlegde about Miracles
>>> policies...

>> Frankly, I don't think I knew much more than anyone else,
>> getting information about plans from Stuart is worse than
>> pulling teeth :-) ...
>> In fact, I honestly don't remember Miracle's counter-proposal
>> to the Q40.

> It was in Nov./Dec. 1997, after I announced the Q40 in summer,
> and showed a prototype in fall. Looking back, it sounds amusing,
> but back then I was scared that my work had been almost useless,
> and considered to give up.
>
>" U L T R A   G O L D   C A R D

{specs]

It is almost disconcerting how close those specs are to the current spec of
the GF (I'll keep using the name untill I - or someone else - comes up with
a better one). i guess it's another case of 'what goes around comes
around'...

Roy Wood wrote:

> This was not a competitor to the Q 40 but a direct response
> to Qubbesoft's announcement of the Goldfire. It was conceived
> around my kitchen table after one of the early shows when
> Miracle were still active but only just. Jochen and I wanted
> to keep Stuart involved and he seemed annoyed that Qubbesoft
> were 'poaching into his territory' by doing an expansion card

This is really a surprise since I have disussed the idea of the GF with
Stuart FIRST - precisely because it was a logcal successor to the GC/SGC.
At the time he was talking about doing something completely different, and
not directly connected with the QL. I do recall a short discussion about
using a 68060 instead of a 5102 which I simply couldn't justify cost-wise,
but Stuart seemed to have a source for them at a reasonable price. It is a
little bit ironic that to this day the 68060 remains the fastest fully 68k
compatible CPU.

> He was also heavily into the idea of multiprocessing.

Yes, I remember discussing it with him and Joachim Van Der Auwera at the
German show where I had the first production Aurora. I still think it is a
very good idea, though not a simple one. Especially since Motorola has seen
fit to hold us back compared to the rest of the computing word - and
because that would put us one step in front of the rest of the computing
world.

Regards,

Nasta