On 8 Apr 2002, at 15:47, Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> probably wrong. It indicates that the provisorial license was so badly
> formulated that everyone found his loophole in it and was happy.

Yes, that's another way of looking at it -so I was overly optimistic,
then.

> the point is that with a usable licence you could have cured the
> split between Minerva, QDOS Classic (technically unrelated to QDOS)
> and SMSQ. With this license you only avoid new splits and new
> development in this one branch

> I will happilly contribute to whatever SMSQ alternatives there are.

Ok, point taken - a pity, really!

> what about source only?

You can distribute the source only, of course, but not electonically,
it has to be an a physucal media.

> allright, someone will setup an rdist daemon than. This point is
> ridiculous. What is a website differnet from a mailing list or email
> list or TFTP or samba or NFS or snail or POP or IMAP or any other way
> to distribute the code?

You are not alone in making this point, hence the "not to be
distributed electronically" bit.

> You may choose following formulation for your license, perhaps it
> follows your intentions:
>
> Anyone is free to distribute the source code provided that:
>  a) he doesn't receive any form of payment or reimbursement
>  b) the distribution method is guaranteed to cost him at
>     least 10 Euro and 2 hours of work per copy

No, it must cost him more, since he must already pay 10 EUR to
TT (but NOT for the cource code only).

> very helpful.. but I am not involved so why bother.

Indeed.

> I will *more than happilly* leave the fun to disassemble broken
> SMSQ-Q40 code, diagnose problems in it and implement workarounds
> or fixes to the resellers who - according to your license - are
> obliged to do support. It is really nice to see appointed
> professionals and not some amateurs doing this.

Indeed, again.

Wolfgang