Hiall,

You all know the super EasyPTR suit of programs and utilities from Albin
Hessler? In response to my query, Albin writes that he would be happy
to supply the source code to a person or persons willing to update and
upgrade them! Most of this code is written in assembler with comments
in German. I dont know what arrangement is envisioned, as this is still a
commecial program (available from JMS). If you are interested, please
get in touch with Albin yourself (If you dont already have his email
address you can mail me privately for it, or to pass on a message). I
really hope that there is someone with the time, inclination and ability to
take on this task. I myself would be willing to do something for the
(English) manual, if wanted.

If the "QL" is to survive we need a steady supply of new programs. To
realise that, we need good tools! EasyPTR is such a tool. We cannot afford
to let it become obsolete!

If you already know what EasyPTR is and the issues involved, please skip to
my sig right now ;)

EasyPTR is a suit of tools to help build Pointer Environment-enabled (PE)
programs. EasyMenu lets you interactively create the program screens, with
pop-up and pull-down menus, buttons, sprites and other components. The
alternative is to write Window Definitions in assembler, or more clumsily
but a wee bit more simply, with the Qptr toolkit by TT. The objects thus
created can be manipulated from S*Basic, C and assembler, thanks to
libraries of functions for these languages. Run-time libraries are available
for inclusion in your programs - free for free programs, and for a miniscule
unit fee for commercial ones. EasySprite allows the easy creation of
sprites, blobs and patterns, while other programs and toolkits help with
managing the various objects and components in various ways. In other
words: EasyPTR is an essential utility for producing PE programs for the
QL accross all platforms!

However, EasyPTR is getting a bit long in the tooth. There are a few bugs
that need sorting out and, although the output is compatible with all
current
Qdos/Smsq versions there are issues with  some  EasyPtr components on later
versions of Smsq/E. Finally, when PE has been upgraded to handle the new
colour modes, EasyPTR will require and extensive revamp to cope with them
too. This could be a major undertaking.

No self-respecting Tinkerer should be without EasyPTR!

Per