A few thoughts:

Apple is not in the software business (any more). They use software just as
a selling point for their hardware. Therefore, they have a culture of
keeping software assets private as they might prove useful for future
hardware. Also, under Sarbannes-Oxley there are certain accounting
complications with giving away software that was once acquired at some
(probably negligable) expense and invested in for some years.

Open Sourcing Quartz Composer would only be half of the story anyways. They
would also have to license it (and a vast amount of patents) for
modification and re-use. This, of course, could lead to a competitor making
this derived work an asset in their quest for market share against Apple.
Even if this is just a theoretical possibility, it will take some guts for
the Apple leadership to take that step. If you judge by the financial
situation, unlike Microsoft, they are currently nowhere near desperate
enough for such a big step.

That said, on 10.10, QC still performs quite well. Yes, it could do much
better by adapting new OpenGL technologies and other advances in OS X and
there are more than one annoying glitch, but for now, it can survive a
state of limbo for quite some releases to come. Of course, this might
change suddenly, but that is the way the world works. If QC goes away, it
will probably be replaced by something even more awesome down the road,
perhaps even not something made by Apple.

As I said before, in the unlikely event that Apple makes QC open source and
licenses it for modified redistribution, Boinx Software will jump on that
right away and invest considerable resources to improve on the current
shortcomings.

Oliver.

--
Boinx Software Ltd. Niederlassung Deutschland
Lilienthalstr. 1 - 82178 Puchheim - Germany

Director: Oliver Breidenbach
Registergericht München: HRB 168521