On 8/23/19 11:12 PM, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 7:59 PM <g80vmgm...@riseup.net> wrote:
>> panina:

>>> Can't seem to get this working. I get confused by how the dvm's work,
>>> and am not succeeding in starting any applications in the dvm template.

>>> https://forums.whonix.org/t/workstation-15-dropped-both-noscript-and-https/7733
>>>
>>> Thanks, duly noted. Is there any chance to get them to add a setting for
>>> this? Or re-think their decision?
>>>
>>> <3
>>> /panina
>>>

>>> Thanks, duly noted. Is there any chance to get them to add a setting for
>>> this? Or re-think their decision?
>>
>> Please see:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30600
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30570
>>
>> TL;DR The TBB developers pushed out some half-baked changes that
>> compromise UX, are hostile to the idea of reverting those changes, and,
>> three months later, apparently have zero interest in fully baking those
>> changes.
>>
>> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>
> That's a little harsh, isn't it? Saying there is no interest is
> ignoring the fact that Tor Browser is maintained by a team of 10
> people for four different operating systems. Tor Browser is useless
> (and actively harmful) if users are confused about which settings they
> should change (due to careful design choices) and which settings they
> shouldn't change. The Noscript and https-everywhere buttons on the
> toolbar allowed people to tweak the settings easily, and this was not
> something a normal user should do. If someone really needs to change
> these settings, then they can go through a more complicated procedure
> for accomplishing that.
>
> The team will finish implementing this, but (in particular) the
> highest priority task right now is migrating the Tor Browser patches
> and build system from Firefox 60esr to 68esr within the next few
> weeks.

Well, personally the Tor browser is largely useless with default
settings. I'm actively avoiding recommending Tor Browser to
non-technical users right now since it breaks webpages. Almost a
majority of them.
It's gone from being a superb way of hiding your traffic, usable by
everyday surfers behind government firewalls. The privacy-aware crowd
has been accused of being elitist, and this move is in line with that
accusation.

But the politics of TB isn't what this mailing list is for.

Since I can't seem to hack the whole template/DVM scheme, I think I'll
just have to go back to my own tweaked firefox setup. I guess I can put
that behind a whonix gateway, should go some way towards being anonymized...

wish a better day for y'all
/panina