panina:

Well, personally the Tor browser is largely useless with default
settings. I'm actively avoiding recommending Tor Browser to
non-technical users right now since it breaks webpages. Almost a
majority of them.

Afraid I'm not following. The default settings are the most compatible. Making it easier for non-technical users to play around with them would only result in more broken websites.

It's gone from being a superb way of hiding your traffic, usable by
everyday surfers behind government firewalls. The privacy-aware crowd
has been accused of being elitist, and this move is in line with that
accusation.

Making TB safer/easier for non-technical users seems the opposite of elitist to me?

But the politics of TB isn't what this mailing list is for.

True; I think security discussions are OK though. (?)

Since I can't seem to hack the whole template/DVM scheme, I think I'll
just have to go back to my own tweaked firefox setup. I guess I can put
that behind a whonix gateway, should go some way towards being anonymized...

Personally, I run the default Whonix templates and manually set the Security Level on Safest every time I start TB in a DVM. If a site needs a lower level, I'll open it in a separate DVM instance. It is a pain, but I didn't want to chance a customized prefs.js etc. making my browser unique so I hadn't investigated further since Whonix 14.