>On recent Linux kernels, I think the drift file is always bad after reboot.
>HZ=100, no dynamic ticks aka tickless system (CONFIG_NO_HZ not set). I think
>I even tried with a kernel command line option lpj= but it didn't help.
>If the system is rebooted, ntpd stabilizes to a new different drift value.

That's a bug in the TSC calibration code.

grep your /var/log/messages* for "Detected".  You will find things like thsi:
  Jan  4 11:21:49 shuksan kernel: Detected 2793.137 MHz processor.
  Jan  4 21:30:43 shuksan kernel: Detected 2793.209 MHz processor.
  Jan 22 09:32:20 shuksan kernel: Detected 2793.139 MHz processor.

The differences in the bottom bits turn into different drift values.

Recent Linux kernels use the TSC for timekeeping.  (At least on the
systems I work with.)  There may be a simple command line option
to use another chunk of hardware.