On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Jeff Newmiller
<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> To be fair, Rolf, they have already found difficulty and are trying to find
> their way out of this torrent, and impeding their way is not in anyone's
> interest.
>
> John: I agree that adding the word "unsubscribe" to the footer would probably
> help those lost enough to be mailing the list. The existing web page does
> have that word on it, though.
>
> Fabio: I was unaware of the unsubscribe header... looks interesting, though I
> would be concerned that it seems like it might bypass the password protection
> currently in place, making it susceptible to abuse. However, there seem to be
> quite a lot of organizations using it so it may work better than my initial
> impression tells me it does.

FYI, if you look at the raw email messages, they all have the
following in the header:

<mailto:r-help-requ...@r-project.org?subject=subscribe>

Note that "List-Unsubscribe" field
[http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html].  That does not seem to be
enough to have Gmail add a "unsubscribe" button/link (which is indeed
a useful UX feature).  Google mention some more requirements in
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#unsub, particularly
use "list" just as r-help does.  I also found a mentioning on "DKIM
key signature" being required
[http://blog.mailchimp.com/gmails-new-unsubscribe-link-and-feedback-loop/].
So, not sure how easy it is to enable all this for the list(s) (which
are handled by Mailman).

My $.02

/Henrik