OK I am going to swim against the current here and say plastics are
great outdoor clothing. This statement is coming from a 53 yr old
retrogrouch who has played in the mountains and deserts his entire
life. I love my wool sweaters and socks and undershirts. But when it
gets seriously hot or cold, I go plastic (you know...synthetics like
poly-pro). My main fitness activity in the winter is cross country
skiing at above 10,000 ft here in western Colorado.  When it is below
say 20 degrees and the wind is blowing, I may have wool next to the
skin, but synthetics on the outside.

Kent Peterson from the Seattle area knows more than me:
http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2006/06/good-gear-for-bad-times.html

So on a cold windy day in the snow, here is what I will typically have
on:
On top I like a plastic fishnet undershirt
http://www.reliableracing.com/detail.cfm?edp=10133932
with a thin wool (Smartwool, Ibex, Icebreaker) layer on top of that,
then either an XCSporthill top or if its really cold but still dry the
very versatil Marmot Windshirt
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Marmot-Original-DriClime-Windshirt-Mens/MAR0657M.html

The Showers Pass rain jacket is very nice, but is heavy, bulky, very
expensive and hot in mild weather. A nice inexpensive alternative is
the O2 jacket  http://www.touringcyclist.com/clothing/model_13378.html

On bottom, the XCSporthill pant has an incredible comfort range
http://www.milemarkersports.com/product.php?TypeID=2100&gender=m
Add thin wool underwear underneath for very cold conditions, a thin
nylon shell over the top for cool & very wet conditions or the
Rainlegs that Kent recommends (and don't forget a nylon lined
underwear to protect the boyz).

For my head while cycling, I use the rain cover for my Bell Metro
helmet http://tinyurl.com/yba24rp along with Earbags http://www.earbags.com/
and a wool balaclava for the really cold days. For skiing I am in a
wool hat with either earbags or a balaclava underneath.

Gloves/Mitts are very individual. Wool socks keep my feet happy; not
to tight.