Place is also important for procurement in case of multinational
publishers or international agencies. We should think the data beyond
the libraries.

Kayarat Baby
D.K. Agencies (P) Ltd.

J. McRee Elrod wrote:

Thanks for posting the JSC Outcomes Nathalie.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/jsc/0804out.html

"The JSC agreed that the Additional edition statement and Statement of
responsibility following a title proper are important for
identification, and that both would be added to the core set of
elements. The JSC decided not to add the Place of publication because
in cases of simultaneous publication or online publication it is less
meaningful to users than in the past."

It's good to see valued and time tested AACR2 features return one by
one, including Statement of responsibility as core, and Selections as a
part of preferred (i.e. uniform) titles.

It's very disappointing to see Place of publication still not part of
Core.  Any Core element may be less meaningful for a given item.
There are items lacking title, for example.  The meaningfullness of
Place of publication remains for a large number of items, particularly
rare books and legal texts.  If omitted, one needs to know whether it
was because it was not present ("[S.l.]" in ISBD), or because the
cataloguer opted to omit it.

While we are on Place of publication, we are told there will be no
abbreviations.  I assume this does not mean that abbreviations on the
item will be spelled out?  I want Place of publication as a Core
element, with jurisdiction of the place supplied if lacking!

  __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([EMAIL PROTECTED])