Yes, as with many fields, we will discover that we need both a
transcribed field, and a relationship--the relationship can be built
with a number of technical devices, including what we used to call a
'controlled access point', or some other kind of identifier.  I like
John's attention to clearly calling this a 'relationship'.

This is a general pattern which we see over and over again in our
library metadata--and is in fact not something new, but something done
for _some_ fields in the anglo-american cataloging tradition.  The
difference is that the relationship was built using the so-called
"controlled access point", when many of us would like to gradually
transition to using more modern identifiers instead.

The other issue is determining when the user need is enough to spend
time on creating that relationship.  This might not be a decision which
can be made universally, it might be made on a community-by-community or
even library-by-library basis. Meaning some people are going to
establish that relationship for place of publication, and others are
not.  This makes it clear how important it is to have a cooperative
cataloging infrastructure that easily allows someone else to _add_ it
later.  Attention to the cooperative cataloging infrastructure is needed
to get where we want to go, on top of RDA's list of rules/guidelines.

Jonathan