From my perspective, the fact that catalogers "just do" things that
aren't in fact documented anywhere is a really big problem. Makes it
hard for new catalogers or metadata-creators (one of the stated goals of
RDA is to make metadata creation more accessible, both inside the
library community and outside), makes it REALLY hard for software
developers to figure out what's in the records, makes it unreasonably
challenging for those who do choose to add the data to be consistent.

But I agree with John in general.  Certainly, when the standards are
insufficient metadata creators are always free to add extra stuff not
provided for in the standards.  But our goal should be to make standards
that are sufficient, of course.  Equally important is to make standards
that can be changed and enhanced with ease--this is about our process
itself as well as about the technical design of the standard (some
standards technical design provides for extensibility right off the
bat). If it's discovered that a standard is not sufficient, it should be
much easier than it is to extend it to cover the new case, so the people
adding the 'extra' stuff can do so according to actual documented and
agreed upon practices, rather than unwritten rules passed from cataloger
to cataloger.

Jonathan