Weinheimer Jim schrieb:

This is a description of a very interesting meeting over metadata, with many groups involved. http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2010/01/google-exposes-book-metadata-privates.html
Most edifying as well as sobering indeed.
Do we conclude that ONIX should replace MARC?

Karen Coyle said in that meeting:
"... the team tried to figure out when alphabetical sorting was really
required, and the answer turned out to be 'never'."

Does that mean alphabetical index displays of names, titles, subjects
etc. can safely be considered dead? We've long suspicioned that
non-librarians neither want them nor understand them in the first place.
Decisions to abolish them should, however, not be based on suspicion
but evidence. Do we have it? Is that team's conclusion evidence?
If so, to the dustheap with non-sort markers and indicators!

B.Eversberg