From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:rd...@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of J. McRee Elrod
Sent: 04 February 2010 15:51
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Filing order (Was: Google ...)

Bernhard Eversberg said:

>Karen Coyle said in that meeting:
>"... the team tried to figure out when alphabetical sorting was really
>required, and the answer turned out to be 'never'."
>
>Does that mean alphabetical index displays of names, titles, subjects
>etc. can safely be considered dead?

Experimenting with filing order in a card catalogue established that inverse
date order of cards behind subject guide cards produced patron satisfaction,
and spread circulation across the alphabet (as opposed to authors A-M
circulating more heavily than N-Z).  But author and title OPAC browse lists
(replicating card catalogue alphabetical
filing) assists patrons to find known items where their spelling is a tad off.