<<Does that mean alphabetical index displays of names, titles, subjects
etc. can safely be considered dead?>>

I, for one, happen to like them. As a user, I always find it frustrating
whenever I can't sort a list according to some transparent logic, be it
alphabetical or chronological or by another scalable measure.

-----
Dr. Christoph Schmidt-Supprian
Assistant Librarian
Bibliographic Data Management