Quoting Judith A Kuhagen <j...@loc.gov>:

The element is "related work." The possible conventions for showing that relationship are identifier, authorized access point, or structured/unstructured description.

Also, for those who may not have looked at the RDA element analysis table (http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/5rda-elementanalysisrev3.pdf), the FRBR/FRAD entity is given if appropriate in the "domain" column of that table.

Thanks, Judith -

Hopefully someone can clear this up, but the definition of "related work" is given (in the metadata registry and the ERDs) as:

"A work related to the work represented by an identifier, a preferred access point , or a description (e.g., an adaptation, commentary, supplement, sequel, part of a larger work). "

Chapter 25 gives examples of "Structured Description of the Related Work" and includes both "Contained in:" and "Contains" relationships (which seem to be to be very different). And although it clearly says "Work" in the singular, one of the examples is:

Contains: ?Til death do us plots / by
Julianne Bernstein ? Class act / by
Michael Elkin ? Where?s your stuff? / by
Daniel Brenner ? Foot peddler / by
Vivian Green ? Smoke / by Louis
Greenstein ? Single Jewish female / by
Julianne Bernstein ? In spite of
everything / by Hindi Brooks ? Ger (the
convert) / by Leslie B. Gold and Louis
Greenstein ? Golden opportunity / by
Julianne Bernstein ? Interview with a
scapegoat / by Louis Greenstein

There is also "Contained in (Work)" which has its definition as "A larger work of which a part is a discrete component." (Which I must admit I'm having trouble grasping -- I can't quite figure out what points to what.)

And also "Contained in (Manifestation)" which reads "A larger manifestation of which a part is a discrete component."

It was clearer to me before I read these... but it does look like one can have a textual description (that is, not an identified entity) that has these relationships.

Now I need to think about what that does to my diagrams, if anything.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net