I will add one thing to Greta's very clear explanation.

While the field explicitly states that this is a copyright date, it does not state what type of copyright date is being recorded. There are two types of copyright date--copyright for text (the (c) date) and the phonogram copyright date (the (p) date), which is the copyright for recorded sound. Again, these are two different things, and both may appear on the same item (and be different). I remember vaguely that when the field was first being created, there was some talk of separating the symbol and the date, but in the end they were left together in one field.

Nancy