I'm curious if people who oppose the use of "t" (pub date/copyright date)
instead of "s" (pub date only) in the fixed fields are having problems getting
their systems to parse the data correctly or if it just looks funny (redundant)
to them because, like all of us, their frame of reference is AACR2, which
treats (or ignores) copyright statements based on their relationship to
publication date.  The MARC definition is pretty unambiguous that when 008/byte
06 is set to "t", 008/bytes 07-10 represent publication date and 008/bytes
11-14 represent copyright date, and I should think any MARC-compliant ILS would
be aware of that and index it appropriately.

Certainly it is a good question whether the date fixed field is the best place
to recording copyright dates in a "machine actionable" way; but that is really
an issue of how the MARC format is designed and implemented.

Under AACR2 copyright date was only recorded when it differed from publication
date, or when publication date was unavailable.  That is, its function under
AACR2 was to assist in the identification of the piece. Under RDA, copyright is
treated as a separate data element ("date associated with a claim of protection
under copyright or a similar regime", RDA 2.11), one that is not necessarily
related to date of publication/distribution/manufacture. That is, it is
metadata that informs users about what rights have been asserted over a
document, and not just metadata that assists in identifying it.

To be sure, when date of publication/manufacture/distribution cannot be found,
it continues to function as a "reasonable facsimile" for publication date.
Hence the lengthy commentary in the LC/PCC PS to 2.8.6.6.  So when we have only
a copyright date we can copy that date and put it in brackets (as supplied
data) in the 264:x1:$c.

But the statement of rights, if I understand RDA correctly, should always be
recorded (it is designated a "core element") if it is available on the
source(s) of information.

I think the way RDA presents this is unfortunate and bound to lead to or
perpetuate the confusion that surrounds copyright vs publication date.  Its
placement in the instructions directly adjacent to instructions for recording
publication information, suggests that copyright is more or less the same as
publication date, as it was under AACR2.  Moreover I think they should have
called this element "copyright statement" not "copyright date", as the latter
leads to confusion (if the element is copyright date why include the ©
character? what about other "similar regimes" such as legal deposit, etc.?)

Nevertheless the practice of recording copyright data separately--even when it
is the same as publication date--makes logical sense even though it looks funny
and perhaps excessive to catalogers (and probably some members of the public as
well).  It is really, I might suggest, an element that supports the "obtain"
function, broadly speaking (as copyright, or other assertions of rights by
creators, etc., may determine what someone can do with the material, and the
conditions under which agencies may make material available to the public) more
than the "find" and "identify" functions.

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries