I would not suggest using GMD. The addition of GMD is an extra work for
catalogers. It is also a problem for staff training, struggling between two
cataloging rules.

OCLC policy states that they keep GMD for three years. It seems to be a
transition time. GMD apparently is not under maintenance and update. One
day you may have to get rid of them.

Thanks,
Joan Wang
Illinois Heartland Library System