Ben,

You get me confused here.

I'm not an expert on this kind of material, but I would have thought that e.g. for the early Asterix books both Albert Uderzo and René Goscinny are to be seen as creators in the sense of RDA 19.2: "Persons, families, or corporate bodies jointly responsible for the creation of a work (...) may perform different roles (e.g., as in a collaboration between a composer and a lyricist)." In a joint effort, one of them provided the pictures, the other the text. I think this corresponds to 21.24 "Collaboration between artist and writer" in AACR2.

But then the relationship designator "illustrator" seems to be not applicable for somebody like Uderzo, because it is for a contributor, not for a creator. This also fits in with the definition of illustrator as somebody "supplementing the primary content with drawings, diagrams, photographs, etc." So, this seems to be about the cases which used to be covered in AACR2 21.11A1.

I conclude that the only possible relationship designator for Uderzo listed in the Appendix would be "artist".

This is really rather crude. I also wonder about the relationship designator for somebody like Goscinny. The only possible term from the Appendix seems to be "author", but the explanation doesn't really fit: A person etc. "responsible for creating a work that is primarily textual in content". Well, the Asterix books are certainly not "primarily textual in content".

Heidrun

Benjamin A Abrahamse wrote:

Does anyone happen to know if there is work being done to expand the RDA relationship vocabulary to account for specific roles associated with the illustration of comic books and graphic novels?

Under the current RDA relators, it would seem the following roles (which are considered discrete enough to warrant separate mention on the statements of responsibility of comic books and graphic novels) all fit under the category of "illustrator":

artist

inker

colorist (or, color artist)

letterer

Also, I've noticed that often "cover artist" gets separate mention, though I think they would still be considered an illustrator.

--Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse

Cataloging Coordinator

Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems

MIT Libraries

Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.
Stuttgart Media University
Faculty of Information and Communication
Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany
www.hdm-stuttgart.de/bi