I can't speak to what is ideal in theory, but what I see in most records for
graphic novels is that the writer is given Main Entry (so, under RDA, would get
$e author) and the artists as Added Entries (so, $e illustrator; or, if/when
more specific terms become available, $e inker, or what have you).

One could certainly argue that "author" is not the correct term (and in point
of fact the term I see most often used on graphic novel statements of
responsibility is "writer" not "author").  One could also object to the
practice of giving the "writer" Main Entry, instead of treating graphic novels
as "works of mixed responsibility". The writer is responsible for the story
(usually) and script (and sometimes the storyboard as well -- in many ways
graphic novels and comics are closer to films than textual books) but obviously
without someone to do the art it wouldn't be a "graphic" novel.

There is I think at least a background awareness of the problem of assigning
"authorship" in graphic novels in the cataloging community.  For example in the
Library of Congress classification schedules:

PN6725-6728      Collections of general literature-Comic books, strips, etc.-By
region or country-United States

PN6727.A-Z        Individual authors or works, A-Z
Subarrange individual authors by Table P-PZ40
Subarrange individual works by Table P-PZ43
Prefer classification of comic strips by title

PN6728.A-Z
Individual comic strips. By title, A-Z

So there is a stated preference for classification by title (which makes more
sense to me because at least for comic books, writers often come and go as
frequently as artists do; this seems to me less often the case with graphic
novels), but the schedule is also hospitable to collocating by author. And
there are some authors of graphic novels and comics (the inimitable Neil Gaiman
springs to mind as an example) who stand out in such a way that collocating
their works together on the shelf makes greater sense than dispersing them by
title.

But regardless of classification practice, assigning "main entry" (or in an RDA
milieu, assigning as the personal name part of the authorized access point)
seems to be the primary way catalogers have treated graphic novels, in my
experience (which is certainly not unlimited, and perhaps other catalogers who
work with these materials can inform the discussion further.)

--Ben

p.s. As long as I'm talking about the classification schedules--the fact that
Anglo-American and European countries get number ranges but the rest of the
world fits under PN6790.A-Z (Other regions or countries, A-Z) has led to some
small amount of havoc in our collection, where by far the number one producer
of comics and graphic novels that our users are interested in is, of course,
Japan.

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries
617-253-7137