*From:* Jason Szumlanski [mailto:ja...@floridasolardesigngroup.com]
*Sent:* Wednesday, March 27, 2024 3:12 AM
*To:* will...@millersolar.com
*Cc:* RE-wrenches
*Subject:* Re: [RE-wrenches] Sol-Ark 15K AC Output

William,

Thanks for the information on grid peak shaving. That is what I thought
could be done. The description is a misnomer of sorts (like a lot of things
in Sol-Ark lingo). It's a bit hard to follow and not nearly well
enough documented, particularly with respect to parallel systems.  You are
welcome.  The Sol-Arc manual is not a great manual in any regards.

I follow what you are saying about using the 80A input breakers. The
problem I have is that you must set the generator kW to 36,000 in the
master inverter, not 9,000W in each inverter. The concept of "underrating"
the input breakers theorizes that each inverter will share the generator
pass-through equally. I do not know that to be the case. And what happens
if the three slave inverters have a fault or are turned off? That would
allow the single master to pass through the full generator supply.
Obviously this trips the 80A input breaker and protects the conductors, but
I feel that is a design deficiency when a single inverter is fully capable
of passing through all 150A.  You may be designing for an eventuality that
will never occur:  If the inverters fail then they should be repaired or
replaced.  While awaiting repair the bypass will keep your loads powered at
full capacity.

On top of that, I don't think the 80A output breakers are sufficient
because each inverter can peak shave 50A with inverter power from the
batteries. Add that to the theorized balanced 37.5A "grid" input, and you
are at 87.5A of possible throughput.  I am not sure why you are designing
to deliver more than the inverters will produce.  The generator support
function is intended to assist powering loads when the generator is
undersized.  I define that as the generator ampacity being less than that
of the inverter system.  The 36kVA generator is greater in ampacity than 4
Sol-Arc 15s.  You can turn the generator support function down or off in
the Sol-Arc.  I would recommend it be set to off for this project.  (If
there are to be occasional loads that are greater than the inverters can
deliver, like a welder or a car charger, with the plan I suggested you have
a generator-fed panel that can feed those occasional large loads with the
generator running.)

But assuming the 80A input/output concept works, other than a panelboard
with bolt on breakers, what low-cost load center allows you to fasten four
80A backfed breakers? If this is available, I could use a recommendation.
The load centers I am familiar with only have provisions for one fastened
backfed breaker.  I use to specify bolt-on panels for this but I came to
believe this is overkill.  QO breakers are held in place by the panel cover
that overlaps the breakers.  Other breakers are configured so the contact
points for the breaker bus are recessed.  You need to convince your AHJ
that this satisfies the requirement.  Part of the discussion should include
the point that off-grid systems are specialized and people that do not
understand them should not be working on them (or judging them-- is what I
tell inexperienced plan-checkers).

With respect to the bypass, I would usually use a DPDT switch to accomplish
this, Even for 400A bypasses, there seems to be a relatively cost effective
option in the Ronk 7416 (which to date I have not used). I get the concept
for smaller (<=100A) generators that you could use a generator interlock on
an off-the-shelf load center. But they typically only allow a single
backfed 2-pole breaker, whereas something like a Square D QO panel with a
backfed 150A breaker requires 4 spaces and is incompatible with the
interlock device.  Since bypass is an emergency condition, I sometimes
limit my bypass to 100 amps.  If you want full bypass ampacity you can
build an interlock to accommodate any size breaker.  Here
<https://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Portfolio/Commercial/RM/Interlock.JPG>
is a photo of a large frame breaker being interlocked.  Here
<https://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Portfolio/Commercial/RM/RM_Interlock.pdf>
is a design sketch exploring multiple interlock options.

Always, this is a great discussion and specific recommended equipment is
appreciated.

Jason Szumlanski

Principal Solar Designer | Florida Solar Design Group
NABCEP Certified Solar Professional (PVIP)
Florida State Certified Solar Contractor CVC56956

Florida Certified Electrical Contractor EC13013208

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 12:33 AM William Miller <will...@millersolar.com>