Hi Michael;

I don't think its 12v, I have old Trace 48 v systems still humming along 24 years later, too. Some of it, is the customers. The old school off grid folks knew how to conserve energy, watch the sun, and were not going to call unless they couldn't fix it themselves.

Also, the equipment was built much better back then for sure, I have a new Magnum install that is just a disaster, voltage dips below 100 vac, every time any larger load goes on (well pump, garbage disposal, fridge, coffee maker) and I've replaced 3 BMK battery monitors under warranty so far. Apparently you can NOT disconnect or connect the BMK with its built in 4 pin *connector*, or it will smoke the unit.  That is a new problem, they used to be robust.  I have many older Magnum systems that are great.  Magnum quality has taken a huge dive since being acquired by Sensata.

If it wasn't for Trace, old Outback, and old Magnum stuff being reliable, I would have gone out of business decades ago.  Now it looks like I need to find a new line of work, just a few years before retirement, because manufacturers no longer prioritize reliability.  Meanwhile Li+ is what new customers expect, yet its still not ready for prime time, either.  I have an installer buddy that is having all sorts of trouble with an EG4 battery setup, and the installation isn't even complete. He's already had to dark start them several times, and now they won't even stay operational for more than a few minutes.  The cheapo BMS lears its ugly head once again.  All we're doing lately is fixing stuff less than 5 years old.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar