&undefined
RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

---------------------------------
[59] FA on FA Cup semi venues
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"The semi-finals will not be in Cardiff. We're discussing that internally now.
We're discussing with broadcasters and stadiums to see where they will be held
but they will be at more traditional, neutral venues as that's what fans wanted
this year. Certainly Old Trafford and Villa Park are two we'll be looking at.
Chelsea and Liverpool will need as big a venue as possible. But we've got to
work them into the fixture schedule as well as the Premier League games on that
weekend. And we've got to make sure clubs and supporters are happy too."

---------------------------------
[58] Saha on trying too hard
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"I was trying too hard, trying to do too much. I needed to relax a bit and see
life in calmer way. I used to be a perfectionist in everything. When I wasn’t
playing I tried to find the reason why I was getting injured. Along with bad
luck, that's why I picked up the injuries at United. I’m not perfect in one
compartment of my game. I’m not faultless in the air, or flawless at running
past players. I think I have a number of good attributes, my strengths, but I
can work on them all. That is how you get better at the top level, by improving
many different parts to your game even the smallest fraction. In a way my pace
is my main quality. I’m always looking to improve, but I don’t I feel the
pressure of how things will turn out. I’m a very confident because there are
brilliant players around me. I also think I can offer something to the team as
well. In that way I am a very positive person."

---------------------------------
[57] Another 50+ stories today. By showing YOUR support you can help us grow,
expand and provide even more and faster news
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

Either send sterling chequeto Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG made
payable to Red News) or by credit card below.

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

To order the 10 issue sub click on

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

subscribe e.mail

donate e.mail

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

NEW UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

---------------------------------
[56] Squads
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
Van der Sar, Howard, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre, Evra, Richardson,
Ronaldo, Giggs, O'Shea, Park, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Saha, Rossi.

Birmingham (from): Maik Taylor, Vaesen, Melchiot, Painter, Bruce, Martin
Taylor, Latka, Cunningham, Lazaridis, Johnson, Clapham, Dunn, Kilkenny,
Pennant, Clemence, Heskey, Forssell, Campbell.

---------------------------------
[55] Sporting life on team news
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Manchester United could field an unchanged side for Sunday's encounter with
Birmingham.

Wes Brown has failed to recover from the groin injury which kept him out of
last week's win over West Brom, so Nemanja Vidic should continue to deputise
alongside Rio Ferdinand in central defence.

Top scorer Ruud van Nistelrooy is again in the squad but seems set to be on the
bench for the fifth successive game, with Louis Saha's double against the
Baggies likely to keep him in the team.

Captain Gary Neville is due to become the eighth Red Devil to make 500
appearances for the club.

Birmingham manager Steve Bruce has major injury problems ahead of Sunday's
clash.

Strikers Emile Heskey (ankle) and Chris Sutton (groin and calf), midfielder
Jamie Clapham (groin) and central defender Martin Taylor (groin) are under
treatment.

Midfielder Muzzy Izzet (calf) is also battling to be fit along with Jiri
Jarosik (groin) and midfielder Julian Gray (knee).

Central defender Matthew Upson is set to miss his ninth successive game with a
groin problem.'

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/95796/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11);document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=1078&a=608750&g=95796
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

---------------------------------
[54] Official site on new capacity
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Old Trafford could set a new Premiership attendance record on Sunday following
the release of extra seats in the brand new North-West Quadrant.

A further 1,000 tickets became available on Friday morning and supporters can
now apply for these by one of three methods:

i) Call 0870 442 1994 before 5pm Friday, or between 9am-1pm Saturday
ii) Visit Ticketing & Membership Services at the stadium at the same times
iii) One United Members can apply online at manutd.com/tickets

Tickets are subject to availability and will be issued on a first come, first
served basis.

United set the current record in February 2005 when 67,989 watched the Reds
beat Portsmouth 2-1. However, if the record is beaten at the weekend it is
unlikely to last long; more seats should be made available for the Arsenal game
on April 9 as work on increasing the ground’s capacity to 76,000 is ahead of
schedule.

"We're delighted to allow more of our supporters into Old Trafford," says
director of communications Phil Townsend.

"There is a practical element, too. It's something we have to undertake as a
requirement for our safety certificate and allows us to carry out a dry run of
admitting fans to these areas.

"We've done this with all of our major developments and is a sign of how
advanced work is on the stadium expansion."

United’s highest ever gate - an 86-year-old record - is likely to fall before
the end of the season. There were 70,504 fans at the match with Aston Villa on
27 December 1920, but that record could also be broken.'

---------------------------------
[53] Daily Record on Keane for Forest?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Roy Keane has emerged as one of five top contenders to become the next boss at
Nottingham Forest.

And the Celtic player is in direct competition for the job with his Republic of
Ireland nemesis, Mick McCarthy. Sources in Nottingham claim Keane has already
held two rounds of discussions with chairman Nigel Doughty who is believed to
see the former Manchester United warhorse as his No.1 choice.

But four others are in contention along with McCarthy who was in charge of
Ireland's 2002 World Cup squad when Keane stormed out of the camp before a ball
had been kicked following a furious row with his manager. McCarthy was recently
axed by Sunderland as the Wearsiders brace themselves for certain relegation
from the Premiership.

Now he's up against his old foe for the post with League One Forest, in sharp
decline ever since Keane's days as a player under Brian Clough in the early 90s.

Keane is seen as the top choice not only by Doughty but also by the Forest fans.

The 34-year-old has already hinted he may quit Celtic this summer after only
six months in Glasgow.

He's been complaining of a recurring hip injury and also wants to spend more
time with his wife and kids who have stayed in the family home near Manchester.

But Nottingham sources believe Keane may, in fact, have set his heart on the
manager's job at Forest after the sacking of Gary Megson last month. Interim
team bosses Frank Barlow and Ian McParland have steadied the ship since but
Doughty wants to land a major name in the summer.

England boss Sven Goran Eriksson's right-hand man Tord Grip is also believed to
be in the running along with former Forest manager Dave Bassett and Ronnie
Moore, who made a name for himself at Rotherham.

Meanwhile, Livingston stopper Paul Tierney reckons Keane will quit at the end
of the season - if he can pick up an SPL winner's medal.

Tierney, who left Old Trafford last summer after failing to make the grade at
United, used to train regularly with his countryman.

He said: "He won't want to go on playing with an injury. He'll want to finish
as high as he can. If he plays enough games and Celtic win the league that
would be a nice way to go out."

---------------------------------
[52] Carlos on Heinze
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"Gabi has begun his preparations on the pitch from the fitness point of view.
We won't rush him and will follow his recovery progress week by week.  We still
believe he can play before the end of the season"

---------------------------------
[51] Rooney on playing for places
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"It's good when there are players fighting for places. You know every player's
got to be on their toes and put in good performances every week. Last season we
went through a lot of the season when we just had Alan Smith on his own. It was
a bit difficult for us. I think it's good that there's competition for places.
I think  I play my game and that's it. I try and play the best I can and it
really doesn't matter what other forwards are around."

---------------------------------
[50] Fergie in Peacock tribute
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
 http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=683792
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=683792

The who's who of Northern Ireland football gathered at the Europa Hotel last
night to honour one of the country's greatest football advocates, Bertie
Peacock.

The Northern Ireland Milk Cup committee held the special gala dinner to
officially launch a new bursary in honour of the former Celtic legend.

Among the diverse crowd of sporting dignitaries was Manchester United manager
Sir Alex Ferguson.

Sir Alex was a good friend of the late Milk Cup founder and revelled at the
opportunity to be guest speaker at the event.

"I am absolutely delighted to be here because we are honouring one very special
man," Sir Alex told the Belfast Telegraph last night.

"He has done many wonderful things for football.

"It is through my friendship with Bertie that I became involved with the Milk
Cup and I am very pleased that I was able to be here."

Also speaking at the gala dinner was famous snooker player Willie Thorne.

He said: "Although I never had met Bertie, I am very pleased that I was asked
to be a guest speaker."

Also speaking at the event was BBC sporting commentator Jackie Fullerton, who
praised Bertie's contribution to football in Northern Ireland.

"His involvement in establishing the Milk Cup helped to shape the sport in this
country," he said.

"Bertie was not only a great player and manger but a great man.

"I would definitely put him up there with the game's greats."

Bertie Peacock's widow Ruby was overwhelmed by tribute to her late husband.

She said: "I think it is really wonderful what they are doing.

"The Milk Cup people have been very good to me and I think Bertie would have
approved.

"He liked all these special events but I think he may have been a bit
embarrassed by all the fuss."

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/13398912/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11);document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=17418&a=608750&g=13398912
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

---------------------------------
[49] More Bardsley
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"Sir Alex told me to come here, enjoy it and get some experience. Once you've
tasted first team football you want more and I played a few games earlier in
the season for United, which was fantastic. I've been a little bit frustrated
with the lack of games in recent weeks there. I was just playing a few reserve
games, so it's ideal for me to come out on loan and get some first team games.
I'm only young and this is an experience for me. Burnley is only around the
corner too, so it was a bonus coming here and I'm looking forward to it and
playing in front of a home crowd. I'm settling in very well and the lads have
all made me feel really welcome. Hopefully, I can do well for the club and we
can get the three points because we need it."

---------------------------------
[48] More from Smith agent
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"It's still too early to be able to say when he's going to be back playing. The
start of the season might be a bit too early. Alan is not setting any timescale
because if he doesn't achieve that people will be saying there has been some
sort of setback and he doesn't want that. The autumn has been mentioned and
that seems reasonable. He has been away on holiday for a break, he has been in
to see the doctors again and on Monday had the pot taken off. He's now had an
air cast put on, which is a bit different from a normal plaster cast and that
will be on for another few weeks. Obviously they'll be a lot of rehabilitation
work once that comes off."

---------------------------------
[46] Like to write something for the mag? You must have done something daft
then...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
DOH...

What's the silliest or most stupid thing you've done or been caught up in over
the years whilst watching United?

Be it funny, bizarre or just plain sad we're after your tales of an event
you've kept hidden or rather not talk about until now.

It may have been something that sounded a good idea at the time, or you just
knew it was stupid all along.

Send us YOUR stories, however brief, to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[45] Reserves lose
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
from official site

'FA Premier Reserve League North
Ewen Fields, 23rd March, 2006

Manchester United 2
Jones OG (62), Mullan (64)

Blackburn Rovers 3
De Vita (25 & 42), Nolan (68)

United's young Reserves slipped to a heartbreaking defeat at Ewen Fields
despite a rousing second-half display.

Two goals down at the interval, United struck twice in three second-half
minutes before almost immediately conceding again to consign themselves to
back-to-back defeats.

The result leaves United without a win in four games, but still five points
clear at the top of the FAPRL - although Aston Villa are lurking six points
behind with two games in hand.

Rene Meulensteen's hands were heavily tied before the game by injuries,
suspensions and loans, and that was made apparent by his youthful starting XI
which featured five Academy regulars.

Opposite number Glyn Hodges also named an inexperienced side, and the
prevalence of youth was reflected in the frantic beginning to the game.

The first clear-cut opportunity fell to Febian Brandy. The 17-year-old striker
pounced on a weak back-header from Rovers' Martin Olsson, but saw his
sidefooted effort well parried by the legs of keeper Richard Lee.

Just as United looked to be growing in stature, the visitors took the lead
through the impressive Raffaele de Vita.

The former Roma striker, who caught the eye all night with his movement and
skill, nipped in ahead of Kieran Lee to flick a right-wing corner in at the
near post.

Three minutes before the interval the Italian struck again, this time firing a
long ball homee after the United defence was caught napping.

The 60th-minute introduction of David Gray galvanised United's game, and within
five minutes they had drawn level.

Jamie Mullan's cross from the left was turned past the goalkeeper by
centre-back Luke Jones, then Mullan levelled matters with a stunning individual
strike two minutes later.

The 18-year-old winger cut in from the left, travelled infield and hit a
scorching 20-yard drive into the far corner of the Blackburn goal.

Mullan almost completed an incredible turnaround a minute later as once more he
cut inside and fired in a shot, but this time saw his effort bounce away off
the post.

With United applying all the pressure, the visitors incredibly moved in front
again - this time as Irish defender Eddie Nolan rose above the home defence to
head in a right-wing corner.

Meulensteen's side had been level for just four minutes. As the game wore on,
towering centre-back Shawcross was sent up front to provide an aerial threat
and it almost paid instant dividends.

Shawcross' presence forced the home defence into a panicked half-clearance, but
Rossi could only uncharacteristically prod wide from 10 yards.

The link-up forged another great chance in the second minute of stoppage time,
but Shawcross could only fire straight at Lee from Rossi's great flick-on.

Had the roles been reversed then United would surely have grabbed a deserved
equaliser, but sadly the script dictated more heartbreak for Meulensteen's
young side.

United: Steele, Marsh, K Lee, Shawcross, Piqué, Rose, Neumayr, Hewson, Brandy
(Gray, 60), Rossi, Mullan.
Substitutes: Fortune, Amos, Burns, Lea.

Report by Steve Bartram.

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-10306929

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[44] He looks promising
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
from official site

'Youth and Reserves striker Fraizer Campbell has signed professional forms with
Manchester United.

The pacy 18-year-old, who has scored five goals in 11 starts for Rene
Meulensteen's Reserves this season, is the fifth United scholar to turn pro
this season.

David Gray, Darron Gibson, Danny Simpson and Craig Cathcart have all signed
professional forms with United this term.'

---------------------------------
[43] More Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
“I’ve joined a team with world-class players. I learn a lot from them working
day in, day out with them. My awareness and fitness since I joined have got a
lot better.”

“Everywhere you go people are looking at you. I just try to look forward and
keep walking. Some days it’s good and there are other days when you are tired
and you just want to go home. I used to hate it but I’ve come to accept it. But
when I go home to my estate everybody knows me and they still talk to me in the
same way. That helps me keep my feet on the ground.”

---------------------------------
[42] Rooney on life
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
“We’re at training till 1pm and some days you have your commercial work to do,
some days you go home and rest. I like going home and just lounging around on
the sofa. Footballers nowadays are role models. It’s nice that you can
communicate with kids when you do your commercial stuff"

---------------------------------
[41] Times on G14 row
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'UEFA may wish to consider changing the official Champions League music to the
theme from The Godfather to acknowledge the deepening power struggle between
Europe’s richest clubs and their governing body that threatens to spark a war
that will slice apart European football.
The darkest fear of leading figures within Uefa is that they will wake up not
to a horse’s head but to the news that Europe’s elite clubs have formed a
breakaway league. G14, the group of 18 leading clubs, has refused to rule out
that prospect. Yesterday, the governing body went on the offensive at its
congress in Budapest.

“Uefa will not stand in the way of those who want to leave the family,” a Uefa
statement read. This is an offer that the clubs will find easy to refuse. The
statement added that quitting will mean that the teams’ involvement in domestic
competitions would sleep with the fishes.

“If G14 want to go their private way, then they can do so. But outside of the
European and domestic football structures,” Lennart Johansson, the Uefa
president, said. G14 wants to give its members a bigger say in how the sport is
run and also wants a share of revenues from key tournaments, such as the World
Cup.

It is backing Royal Charleroi, who are seeking compensation from Fifa, the
sport’s world governing body, via the Belgian courts because one of their
players returned from international duty with a serious injury. Sepp Blatter,
the Fifa president, said that by supporting Charleroi, G14 had launched a
“bomb” and “disturbed the family of football”.

Uefa delegates from the national associations unanimously approved a resolution
condemning the efforts of G14. Uefa reiterated the principle of allowing
players to compete for national teams and giving clubs from smaller countries
the chance to qualify for the Champions League.

Yesterday, G14 denied that it intends to split from Uefa. “There are no plans
for this in the foreseeable future,” Thomas Kurth, the general manager, said.

However, it released a 30-page statement that read: “The top-level professional
clubs should maintain their future options by making preparations for the
creation of a ‘European Professional League’ to run top-level European
international club competitions.”

It also called for the number of Champions League matches to be increased to
guarantee clubs perhaps two or three more fixtures. Blatter, though, is
unimpressed. “Once you are in a family, there is a minimum of respect that one
should observe,” he said.'

---------------------------------
[40] Times on new capacity
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'United will welcome an extra 2,200 fans to Old Trafford for the Premiership
match against Birmingham City on Sunday, when a section of the new North West
Quadrant is opened. They expect to break their record attendance of 70,504, set
against Aston Villa 86 years ago, with the visit of Arsenal on April 9, when
another 2,200 seats in the North East Quadrant will be available.'

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5590780

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[39] Times on good news for Alan Smith
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Another player on the road to recovery is Alan Smith, who suffered an horrific
break to his leg and dislocated an ankle in the FA Cup defeat by Liverpool last
month. Smith had his plaster cast removed on Monday and replaced with a
lightweight air cast that he will wear for the next few weeks before he begins
his rehabilitation.

“It’s still too early to be able to say when he’s going to be back playing,”
Alex Black, Smith’s agent, said. “The start of the season might be a bit too
early. Alan is not setting any timescale.”

---------------------------------
[38] Times on Chelsea and no Gary Nev like charges for Gallas
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'JOSÉ MOURINHO’S belief that Chelsea are victimised by the blazer brigade was
strengthened yesterday when the Football Association pointed the finger of
blame at the champions for the bitter finale to the West London derby against
Fulham last weekend.
For the second time in little more than a fortnight, Chelsea were charged with
failing to control their players. They may face fines totalling £750,000 if
found guilty on both counts, but reacting to the new charge, a Chelsea
spokesman said: “We will respond in due course with a robust defence.”

In the aftermath of Sunday’s 1-0 defeat, Mourinho claimed that it is one rule
for his team and another for everyone else. With the FA charging Chelsea but
exonerating Fulham for apparently similar behaviour, the manager will feel that
his point was well made.

This week, Chelsea denied the charge arising from the match against West
Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns on March 4 and requested a personal hearing.
Now they are in the dock again for the way that their players rounded on Andy
Williams, the assistant referee, after the challenge that led to William
Gallas’s last-minute sending-off at Craven Cottage. They have until April 7 to
respond.

Fulham escaped without charge, despite their players confronting Mike Dean, the
referee, after Didier Drogba had put the ball in the net in the 57th minute.
The goal was disallowed for handball, but Dean said in his report that the
conduct of the Fulham players had not warranted reporting. More cynical Chelsea
fans will feel Dean downplayed the protests of the Fulham players lest it
support Mourinho’s accusation that his mind had been swayed by them.

The theory that Chelsea have been harshly treated did not extend to Gallas,
however. He was not charged for the repeated thumbs-down gesture made to home
fans as he walked along the touchline. Within minutes, the pitch was covered
with scuffling fans and, while Gallas’s action was probably not a catalyst, it
was ill-judged.

The lack of action over his gesture raises more allegations of FA inconsistency
given that Gary Neville, the Manchester United defender, was recently fined for
celebrating a goal in front of Liverpool fans at Old Trafford. “The FA has
written to William Gallas warning him to his future conduct,” an FA statement
read. The FA also decided to take no action against Mourinho for his claim that
Dean had succumbed to player pressure. However, it has delayed any decision on
the pitch invasion, confirming that it was investigating the post-match scenes
and had requested detailed reports from the police and Fulham.'

---------------------------------
[37] Sportinglife on Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Wayne Rooney will carry England's World Cup hopes on his young shoulders but
he claims he is "a normal lad".

Manchester United's talented young striker revealed that he has come to terms
with the fame game as he set eyes on the World Cup trophy for the first time in
London on Thursday night.

Rooney, who declined to tempt fight by actually touching the trophy when the
FIFA World Cup Tour came to London, appears to be taking the celebrity role in
his stride.

"I don't tend to think too much about it. I think of myself as a football
player and try to be as normal as I can. I go and see my friends and my family
and try to lead a happy life.

"There are a lot of benefits from being a professional footballer but there are
also a lot of downsides. You have just got to deal with that and get on with
your life," he said.

He admitted: "When I first got in the England team I was just 17 and still very
young and it was quite intimidating."

Fellow Scouser Steven Gerrard helped him settle in by taking him playing pool
and table tennis with his England team-mates and Rooney's competitive nature
shone through as he insisted that Gerrard could not beat him.

"I am not the best at table tennis - but I am okay at pool. I think they all
fancy their chances but I have had a lot of practice over the years," said
Rooney, who soon came out of his shell.

"Ask any of the England squad what sort of person I am and I am sure they will
all say I am a bubbly person. As a young lad I don't want to be sitting in the
room all day, I can't keep still really so I want to be doing things.

"I like to enjoy myself both on the field and off the field, that is just the
way I am," he said.

That enjoyment involves listening to the music of the Stereophonics - "my
favourite band" - U2, Oasis. "They are always on my ipod," said Rooney, who
also enjoys his nights in watching films with girlfriend Coleen McLoughlin.

"Cinderella Man was the last thing we watched and there were a few tissues
coming out at the end," he revealed.

Quizzed over the tears, Rooney replied: "I am a normal lad and it was sad at
the end."

But he hopes that the only tears when the World Cup comes around will be ones
of joy. "We have a good chance. We have a lot of experienced players and a lot
of young players as well.

"Over the last year we have been playing well and hopefully we can take that
into the World Cup finals and come back as winners.

"We have a lot of good players in the squad and we will be disappointed if we
don't come back with the World Cup," he added.'

---------------------------------
[36] Guardian on TV deal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Some of the Premiership's biggest matches could be broadcast exclusively over
the internet from next year rather than via pay TV under plans unveiled
yesterday by the Premier League. Its chief executive Richard Scudamore
confirmed live games would be offered on a "technologically neutral" basis for
the first time under a complex plan to maintain the flow of media money into
the game while satisfying the terms of its deal with European competition
authorities.

The compromise required the Premier League to split its live rights into six
equal packages of 23 games and guarantee that they could not all be bought by
the same broadcaster, ending Sky's virtual stranglehold on live coverage since
the league was formed in 1992.
Five of the bundles are tied to a particular kick-off time, such as 4pm on
Sundays, with a sixth "mix-and-match" package offering the winning broadcaster
a variety of slots. It is thought the latter is to encourage terrestrial
broadcasters such as ITV and Five to enter bids.

Scudamore said the aim was to create a more balanced spread of packages than
under the existing three-year deal, for which Sky paid a total of £1.1bn. The
formula gives the winners of three packages first, second or third pick of the
fixture list. The other three are more evenly balanced with a combination of
first, second, third and fourth picks. All six packages must include matches
featuring the top five clubs from the previous season.

"You can't make the packages completely equal. That's an algorithm too far,"
said Scudamore, who was confident the complex arrangement would work in
practice. "The packages are not equal but they are much better balanced."

In contrast to the last auction, when the Premier League maintained income
levels in the face of a global dip in the value of sports rights, media
convergence is expected to fuel a bidding war.

In addition to Sky and resurgent cable rival NTL Telewest, the pay TV group
Setanta, ITV and Five are expected to enter the fray for live rights. They have
until April 27 to express an interest in live rights before the Premier League
proceeds to a sealed auction.

The BBC wants to retain rights to highlights in the face of likely opposition
from Channel 4 and Five, and Sky is also keen to win both "near live" packages,
which form the basis of its Football First Saturday night offering.

Mobile phone companies will also be able to offer goal clips during matches
rather than at the end, and clubs will be able to podcast their games to
internet subscribers from midnight on the day they are played.'

---------------------------------
[35] Guardian on Rooney yesterday - nice line at end
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Wayne Rooney's vast commercial potential was on display in central London
yesterday when he met more than 500 competition winners as part of his
commitment to Coca-Cola, which, along with Nike, is the Manchester United
forward's major sponsor.
Rooney appeared alongside the World Cup - the real thing, as opposed to a
replica - in a happy coincidence of Coca-Cola's interests. As one of Fifa's
official partners the soft-drinks manufacturer has sponsored the trophy's world
tour, and Rooney's value to the planet's most recognised brand is demonstrated
by the fact that his face has been printed on 500m cans in World Cup year. The
World Cup tour has prompted more than 100,000 people to turn out in Rio de
Janeiro to see the trophy, but in Thailand the trophy was dropped, leaving the
green marble base slightly chipped.

As a result heavy security accompanied yesterday's event, though there was
little need as members of the public - and press - posed for photos with Rooney
and the trophy.
Earlier the Manchester United player had proved as direct under questioning as
he is on the pitch. The BBC presenter Ray Stubbs wanted to know the reason for
his improved fitness since he moved to Old Trafford. "Are you into nutrition
and weights and the whole science of fitness?" he asked. "No, we just do more
running," said Rooney. "I've never touched a weight in my life -I'm paid to
play football, not be a weightlifter."

Onspeed - cheap broadband like speeds for dial up users, only £24.99 a year!

 http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-795737-10385148

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-795737-10378344 "Broadband Speeds for £24.99 a
Year"
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[34] Absolute choas
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
from the Guardian

'The building of the new Wembley has suffered a further setback after defects
were detected in the stadium's sewer pipes. Work to rectify the problems could
take up to eight months.
"Pipes buckled because the ground around them had moved," a worker told the
Sun. "Water and waste from flushed toilets would have backed up and overflowed
if no repairs were done. On match day, when tens of thousands of people use the
toilets at the same time, that just doesn't bear thinking about."

Defects with the sewer pipes are the latest setback to dog the Wembley project,
following the collapse of a roof rafter this week that led to thousands of
workers being sent home.
Steve Kelly, of the GMB union, said: "When the pipes are laid, they have to be
supported properly underneath, especially where they join. But it doesn't
appear as if this happened and the pipes have dropped, causing them to become
buckled.

"Apparently they are now going to have to dig up the pipes and repair them but
that is a process that is going to take months. It's just one disaster after
another."

On Monday engineers said a rafter on the north roof collapsed without warning,
falling about one metre, as several men were working on it.

The section of the roof where the incident happened was being investigated to
find out what caused the 50-tonne steel rafter to move.

The incident followed an announcement last month that the stadium would not be
ready for the May 13 FA Cup final, as originally planned, and the game would
instead be played at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.'

---------------------------------
[33] Guardian on G14 row
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Uefa yesterday threatened to expel rebel clubs from their domestic leagues if
the G14 group of Europe's biggest clubs tries to form a breakaway competition.
European football's governing body said that any clubs attempting to form an
alternative to the Champions League, or to ring-fence entry to the lucrative
competition, would be treated as pariahs.
The 18-club G14 group has drawn up an internal policy document laying out its
strategy to secure the "introduction of more reliable criteria for such
competitions, allowing them to effectively plan their sporting and business
activity". The document, revealed in Saturday's Guardian, leaves open the
possibility of "detachment of the top professional level from all remaining
levels underneath, if this was agreed by clubs".

Without naming G14 specifically, Uefa yesterday insisted that, if steps were
taken to form a breakaway competition, participating clubs would be excluded
from the wider football community. "Uefa will not stand in the way of those who
want to leave the family - which also means the domestic competitions - and who
do not share our sporting values," it said in a statement backed by all 52
national associations at its congress in Budapest yesterday. "But you cannot
pick and choose.
"We will leave the door open for clubs from smaller nations to play at the top
level of European club football. We will not close the door, which seems to be
what this self-appointed group of clubs wants to do."

The front line in G14's attack on the regulatory hold Uefa and Fifa have on the
game is a court case to which it is a co- signatory alongside the Belgian club
Charleroi. G14 and Charleroi made a joint application to a Belgian commercial
court on Monday, challenging the governing bodies' right to insist players be
released for international matches.

The central tenet of the Charleroi case is that player-release clauses are an
abuse of the governing bodies' dominant position in a football market in which,
as tournament organisers, they are also competitors. Moreover, according to its
internal document, G14 "wants the players' cumulated activity in the club and
in the national team to be governed by rules negotiated between clubs".

Uefa will fight G14's ambitions, saying that player-release clauses are
designed to ensure optimum quality in international competition, offering an
avenue through which every player may participate in what is the "greatest
honour" football can confer.

Uefa has set out its own "core principles" in an impassioned manner and clearly
hopes to win the battle for hearts and minds in what one of its committee
members referred to this week as its "war". The G14 scheme, drawn up as a
response to Uefa's "Vision Europe" strategy document, made provision for
"solidarity support [for] the grass-roots of the game" but made clear that the
organisation of elite club tournaments and the revenues generated should be its
own preserve.

By contrast Uefa is determined to ensure that the "historic" sporting values
should hold sway. "[Football] is not a closed shop where only the richest and
most powerful are invited to the table," it said. "Uefa will not tolerate a
structure or system where smaller clubs, smaller nations and all their
supporters never have the chance to follow their dream. This is not what Uefa
is about, this is not what Europe is about, this is not what football is about.
Football is not just a money-making exercise, not just a business."

However, the comments appear merely to have galvanised G14. "Today's attack on
G14 does not mean the issues which we are fighting for will go away," said the
organisation's general manager Thomas Kurth. "At the moment the rules of the
game are written by the federations, for the federations. Professional clubs
have no direct representation and that needs to change.

"Today's threats are simply an attempt to defend the position of the
federations and not deal openly with the real bones of contention such as
representation, player insurance and compensation."

---------------------------------
[32] Mihir Bose in Telegraph
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'The Football Association have joined Germany in refusing to be part of the
Uefa-Fifa defence against a claim brought by the G14 group of clubs in a
Belgian court.

The G14 group, made up of 18 big clubs including Manchester United and
Liverpool, are claiming compensation of £600 million from Uefa and Fifa for
using their players in international matches over the last 10 years.

The court case was originally started by the Belgian first division club
Charleroi over the injury to their Moroccan midfielder Abdelmajid Oulmers while
playing for his country.

The case so alarmed Uefa that they asked all 52 national European associations
to join the defence. Forty-nine, including Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland
and the Irish Republic, agreed. After some hesitation so did the French. But
the English and the German FAs said no.

FA sources have told me that their decision was prompted by fears of being
cross-examined in the witness box regarding their policies on the use of
international players. However, they are willing to give a witness statement in
support of Uefa and Fifa

Uefa president Lennart Johansson, seeking to explain the English and German
position, said: "It is turbulent in the German FA and Geoff Thompson [FA
chairman] was concentrating on the insurance matter but he agreed that players
should have no compensation on international duty."

But despite not joining the court action the FA, at yesterday's Uefa Congress,
voted for a resolution, passed unanimously, which made clear Uefa's opposition
to G14.

Johansson, who in the past has refused to accept G14 existed, told Congress:
"This court case reveals G14's true philosophy: it is simply an attempt by a
group of self-appointed rich clubs to get more money and power out of the game,
with no concern for the sport or the fans."

Uefa are also planning to ask all clubs who take part in next year's European
competitions, as most of the G14 clubs do, to sign an undertaking that they
will obey Uefa rules.

All this is seen as the first shot in a court case that could end up in the
European Court of Justice and take another three years to resolve.'

---------------------------------
[31] Danny Wallace
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
Danny Wallace is taking part in the London Marathon - help by sponsoring him.

RN recently interviewed Danny Wallace and we're delighted to offer our support.
You can too. Just log on to  http://www.dannywallacefoundation.co.uk/
http://www.dannywallacefoundation.co.uk/ where you can find out more about
multiple sclerosis and in a few days sponsor Danny in the Marathon where we
wish him all the very best.

You can also order his forthcoming book, Danny Boy, here

---------------------------------
[30] Telegraph on new tv deal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore is confident the
Premiership's new package of live television rights will ensure the country's
top-20 clubs at least match the £1.1 billion they presently earn from Sky.

The League yesterday invited broadcasters to tender bids for the six new
packages of live rights following the long-awaited settlement of their legal
dispute with the European Commission on Wednesday.

Broadcasters have until April 27 to submit their bids and Scudamore says he is
keen to have the three-year deal in place before the start of next season - a
year before it is due to come into force.

Under the agreement with the EC, there will now be six packages of live games
available consisting of 23 games each.

No broadcaster can own all six packages, which means an end to Sky's dominance
of live Premiership football. Even if they enter the highest bid for all six
packages, they will only be able to own a maximum of five.

Some commentators have interpreted that as a blow to the League's ability to
maintain high levels of TV income as Sky have always insisted they pay a
premium for exclusivity. But with the media industry entering a far more
competitive phase than the time of the last auction three years ago, Scudamore
is sure the value can be matched if not bettered.

He said: "I think these packages are as attractive as before but it's
ultimately for the market to decide what they are really worth. But it's clear
there are a lot of broadcasters who can engage with this."

NTL Incorporated, the new cable giant formed through a merger with Telewest,
look set to provide the biggest challenge to Sky, especially if they also
acquire Virgin mobile in the coming weeks. Irish based broadcaster Setanta are
also expected to bid for at least one package.

The new look structure of the deal is a complicated mix of kick-off times,
first, second and third-choice picks and technologically neutral broadcast
platforms, a mish-mash of media jargon which will leave most fans dizzy.

What is certain is that the deal means no end to the disruptive fixture
scheduling and unsociable kick-off times which have become such an unwanted
feature of football.

The packages are designed to ensure an equal spread of quality games. No one
team will be able to feature more than five times in any package and to help
ensure the quality is spread further, the Premiership's top five clubs will be
split equally and shared around. The five will be decided on league position at
the end of the season.

Breakdown of the packages

Package A: 23 first-choice picks, kick-off 4pm, Sunday.

Package B: 23 second-choice picks, kick-off 1.30pm, Sunday.

Package C: 23 third-choice picks, kick-off at 8pm Monday.

Package D: eight second-choice games and 15 fourth-choice games, kick-off
5.15pm, Saturday.

Package E: five first-choice, nine third-choice and nine fourth-choice games,
kick-off 12.45pm, Saturday.

Package F: 10 first-choice, seven second-choice and six third-choice games to
be played midweek, bank holidays, Sunday at 4pm and Saturday 12.45pm.'

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-795737-10412212

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[29] Telegraph on Rooney in London yesterday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
'Wayne Rooney was a picture of restraint. There, just inches away, was the
World Cup - the real one, not a fake, and the man who would be king of England
resisted the temptation to lift it aloft in preparation for July 9.

The famous trophy arrived from Paris on Tuesday and left London last night for
Zurich. The two-day stop in London - the first time this World Cup has been in
this country - was part of Fifa's tour of 31 cities in 29 countries and Rooney
was paraded alongside it.

But Rooney barely gave it a glance - not a touch, a pat or a promise to see it
again in four months' time. "It's bigger than I thought it was," he said of the
14½ inch, 13.61lb 18-carat trophy. "It's the biggest tournament in the world
and hopefully I'll pick it up then. Then is the time to pick it up. Only the
winners should touch it, everybody else should just leave it alone."

Whether it was plain old superstition or the fact that a dozen security staff
were watching the trophy's every move that Rooney kept his hands in his pocket
was unsure.

Emmanuel Maradas, the man appointed to accompany the trophy on the tour,
admitted: "The trophy is very carefully looked after and gets its own seat on
the plane - in business class."

While Maradas watched the proceedings carefully, Rooney was in humorous form on
the banks of the Thames yesterday. Interviewed by the BBC, Rooney said: "I'm
getting excited with the build-up and I think we have a good enough squad and
to be honest we'll be disappointed if we don't bring it back."

Rooney recalled that his first memory of the World Cup was as recent as 1998.
The 20-year-old said: "I was 12 and watching the England-Argentina game at my
nan's. It was disappointing that we went out on penalties but after the game I
went out into the street and pretended to be Michael Owen."

Now Rooney will line up alongside Owen and he added: "At the age of 12 I was
just a young lad but I wanted to become a professional football but I didn't
think it would come too soon."

Rooney then spoke about his private life and admitted he had 'done a Gazza'
recently and cried. Not at a game, but with his girlfriend Colleen McLoughlin
while watching the film Cinderella Man.

The Russell Crowe movie tells the story of James Braddock, a supposedly
washed-up boxer who came back to become a champion and an inspiration in the
1930s, and Rooney admitted he cried his eyes out.

"I watched Cinderella Man with my girlfriend and there were a few tissues
coming out at the end," he said. "I'm the same as everyone else."

Then he talked about his musical tastes - the Stereophonics are his favourites,
followed closely by Oasis and U2 - and disclosed that, on long, lonely trips
away with England he has become the king of the pool table.

The event was organised by Coca-Cola and the audience was made up of
competition winners, all of whom were allowed to have their picture taken
alongside Rooney and the World Cup trophy.

Rooney delighted the 500-strong gathering when he added: "I want to go out, try
to express myself and do well for the country."

And then, that solid 18-carat gold trophy may see some more tears from Rooney.'

---------------------------------
[28] Gill on capacity
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"We are confident of selling out for all the Premier League games. Expanding
the main stand isn't on the agenda, but 76,200 is a great capacity, one we are
very comfortable with."

---------------------------------
[27] Gary Nev sick
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"We have no excuses. We've just not performed to a consistent enough level.
We've got to do better. I'm sick of being asked when are United going to win
the championship again."

---------------------------------
[26] Gary Nev on matching Mickeys
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"When I started playing for United we were nine championships behind Liverpool.
Now we've got 15 and we're only three behind them, so that's a great incentive
to get to the point where we're level with Liverpool in terms of domestic
honours. And then hopefully we can also get up to where they are in terms of
European honours. We've won two European Cups while Liverpool have won five. It
would be great to leave the club at 38 with 19 championships to our name and
six European Cups. That would be fantastic."

---------------------------------
[25] Van der Sar on title
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"It's three years since this club won the title so it's obvious to everyone
here that we have to be fighting to win the championship. We are a lot of
points behind Chelsea. Even if we win our game in hand, the gap will still be
nine. Over the season that's not good enough. And if Chelsea are not slipping
up we'll just have to try to stay unbeaten until the end of the season. Next
season we certainly have to put up more of a challenge than we have this
season."

Booking a train ticket?

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/js/101842/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('');

Red News are pleased to recommend a local marketing and design company who can
do anything from a few flyers and stationery to full marketing strategies and
stunning photography. visit:  http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk
http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk - they even offer special rates for Red News
readers.

Red News has started selling goods in its own Shop on e.bay - spread the word!

 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop

great original t-shirts  http://www.sumosam.co.uk/ http://www.sumosam.co.uk/

---------------------------------
[24] More Van der Sar on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"There's no problem as far as the World Cup goes, but of course Ruud hopes to
get back into the United side before the end of the season."

---------------------------------
[23] Carlos on rest of season
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"I don't see our goal as a race for second place. Our goal is to win every
point that is in front of us and see where it takes us."

---------------------------------
[22] Gary Nev loves it
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"I love playing for Manchester United. If I was to move anywhere else my love
for the game and my desire and determination just could not be the same. The
perfect scenario for me would be to stay here until my last game in football.
But I am realistic enough to know I am now 31 and Manchester United is a great
football club which needs to improve. Players will come and go, as they always
have. It is like a conveyor belt really, and I just want to try and stay on it
for as long as I can."

---------------------------------
[21] Gary Nev on winning mindset
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 24, 2006 by db:
"I am convinced we can keep winning trophies. Obviously, we have had a
difficult two or three years in terms of the Premiership and European Cup -
which have to be our priority. But some of our performances this season have
been superb, and I am sure we will get stronger again next year. We could end
this season with 90 points and still be nowhere near winning the championship,
which is incredible really. There is no doubt we have improved this season, and
I cannot really believe we are not involved in the title race. But the younger
players in particular will be better for the experience, especially when you
consider how many injuries we have had to deal with. The midfield has been
decimated, but we have still managed to come through - which has to be good
news for the club."

For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon