On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 05:54:24AM -0700, bruce wrote:

[snip]

> it would actually be helpful to be able to make sure the base OS and the
> supporting apps are properly captured as one part of the application, with
> the other data/apps on the system being "captured" in a separate part of the
> process. This kind of segmentation would actually allow us to restore a
> machine to it's base config without needing to be concerned with the rest of
> the apps that a user may have added to the machine. It would also provide a
> method of restoring the other apps if we needed to....
>
> we're willing to consider commercial apps, but we would prefer open source.
> any suggestions would be appreciated....

Do yourself a favor and segment your system on separate drives: system
stuff on one or more, and your add-ons on one or more drives. Not only
does this make it a piece of cake to upgrade but it also minimizes the
danger of a catastrophic drive failure taking it all out.

As for backup snapshots, go to freshmeat.net and do a search for
rsnapshot, one of the better rsync-based snapshot apps.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]