In a message dated 1/30/2005 1:55:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I think there is no question that the framers of the U.S. Constitution
acknowledged God.  I cite George Washington's very first proclamation as
President of the United States on October 3, 1789. As you know, George
Washington was President of the constitutional convention. Here is the
opening sentence of the Proclamaiton: "Whereas it is the duty of all nations
to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be
grateful for His benefits..."
        Why would such a distinguished figure claim this duty and not seek to have it expressed somewhere in the national charter?  Again I do not see how this explains the question; it just reveals another factor that needs explanation.  Two possibilities exists: (1) Washington thought acknowledging God was a national duty and therefore urged the Constitution to recognize God in some way or other, and (2) Washington thought acknowledging God was a national duty but  did not urge this be recognized in the Constitution.  What explains why Washington did (2) and not (1)? Something must explain about Washington and others, I would think.

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law