In a message dated 1/30/2005 5:21:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
It seems to me that the inclusion or failure to include language
acknowledging G-d in the U.S. Constitution has little to do with the
level of religiousity in America at the time and a lot to do with the
commitment of the framers to religious liberty and their recognion of the
havoc that governmental connections to religion might produce
        I find this persuasive, but not completely so.  There's a wide gap, in my estimation, between the "recognition of the havoc that governmental connections to religion might produce" and avoiding any mention of the community's connection to (and dependence upon) divine authority in any way at all. Indeed, is it unimaginable that suitable language could not been formulated to express both the commitment to religious liberty (in the original document) and "the recognition of the havoc that governmental connections to religion might produce"?

        That said, Alan's post raises a potentially more interesting question, namely, just how
do we assess the level of religiosity of the founding generation.  There are actually two problems here: (1) How do we assess the level of religiosity of any community at any time at all?  Isn't religiosity one of those systematically complex attitudes, motives, and reasons that while not precluding assessment in principle, is notoriously difficult to assess? I recall hearing that in colonial Virginia, Jews were required to attend Sunday Church services.  (I can't vouch for the truth of this recollection.) If so, can that be a factor in assessing the level of religiosity among the population. I doubt it.  And how often do people engage in the most apparent forms of expressing religiosity, for example, attending religious services, and in the modern era answering a pollster by saying one is religious, even very religious, when one is not? Justified or not our culture has embraced religious devotion as an indication that one is a good person (although not of course to the same degree throughout our history). Just how truly devotional Americans are seems quite elusive. (2) I think there are special problems arising when making this assessment of a past community.  But I'm not a historian and will say no more about this now.

        I think there are just some aspects of human society that are too complex to sift through with any reliability, especially when this requires putting aside one's own substantive normative views on the issue.  But perhaps this is too far afield from the purpose of this List.

        My own hunch is that explaining the omission of divine authority in the Constitution says something important about the founding generation. But I'm not sure that our usual explanations get to the heart of the matter. But, as I said, that's just my hunch.

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law