Evolution is hardly a "hypothesis" and while the age of the earth may not be certain, anyone who insists it is only about 6,000 years old (using modern 365 day, 24 hour a day) years is simply not dealing with reality or truth.

The US used to lead the world in science and engineering advances.  If we insist on going down the road of anti-science and pseudo-science, we will continue to undermine one of the most important engines of our economy as the rest of the world surpasses the Americans who refuse to teach their children biology, geology, chemestry, and other sciences and instead teach them religious doctrine that has no place in the science class room.

On the other hand, if we want to mandate teaching "creation" myths and stories in all our schools, that would be a great course, In doing so, they could spend a day on intelligent design, perhaps after spending a few days on the more important story in the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Enumah Elish .  Creation stories and myths are wonderful teaching tools for understanding human society -- how humans think about themselves.  Intelligent Design is just the lastest in a long tradition of this kind of thinking.