In a message dated 11/6/2005 9:17:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
So let’s understand – the next kid that tells my 7 year old that we are going to hell, which whether Rick agrees or not is always where that conversation goes, is going to get a basic understanding of the karate classes Sam is now taking.  The speech is in fact more then just disruptive, and it invites a response that will be equally unacceptable at school, but for which my son will not be disciplined at home.
I have a fourth degree black belt son, a second degree black belt daughter, two first degree black belt daughters, and a first degree black belt son, all in the form of Tang Soo Do, the fourth degree is also about 3/4s of the way to his first degree black belt in weapons.

On the wall of the school were my children obtained their degrees are a listing of virtues -- discipline, integrity, respect, obedience, etc.  They memorize and discuss three student codes, including "I intend to use what I learn in karate constructively and defensively, and never to be abusive or offensive."

The self-defense instructors always emphasize that the first way to win a fight on the street is to escape without the fight starting.  And the second way to win the fight is to escape from the fight after it starts.  The only time the techniques taught in class are taught as TO BE USED is when the aggressor makes avoidance of the fight or escape from it impossible.

I am sorry, Joel, that the art has been so degraded where your student studies that these important principles have been lost or underemphasized.

Jim "The Father of Five Black Belts" Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ