Fortunately most Christians do not feel the need to go around telling the rest of us we are damned to hell and so the problem is less bad than it could be.   I must respectfully disagree with Rick's attempt at a more subtle and sophisticated (and I think accurate) reading as being what I have encountered and my kids have encountered in all but the most thoughtful and bright evangelicals.  And they have to a person been respectful of me, and often of my beliefs, howsoever much they wished to convert me.  Of course I have always been able to talk about religion without getting hot under the collar, and so do not easily get too upset by the comments of others in that regard.

As to bullying -- much of the bullying done is done by Christians on Christians -- or was at my school 40 years ago -- of course nearly everyone was Christian of some sort.  The Jews were not singled out for bullying.  And the same is largely true today, though certainly when homeschooled kids come into the public schools there can be adjustment problems -- from a kind of ostracism or exclusion (cliques are already formed from years in public school) to a kind of hazing (in order to get into the "group") to even worse.

But it is not one-sided -- home schooled kids often have a chip on their shoulder and have not encountered different views since they studied at home and went on field trips with like-minded families and such and so do not have the social resources to respond to the new and difficult situation.

I wasn't bullied, but I hated HS and saw people who were bullied for no reason at all.

Religion is a hot-button issue for kids who are just becoming exposed to new ideas for the first time in HS, sometimes MS, and for kids whose job it is in those  years to explore and define themselves.  Fewer adults are as vigorous true believers as kids are -- whether it is about a teacher, a rock band, sports, school "spirit", or whatever.

I think the implication of this state of affairs, plus the EC and FE and free speech dimensions, all add up to the school having a fair amount of latitude in regulating speech and activities of a religious nature and in trumpeting the civic virtue of tolerance toward those of other beliefs, castes, what-have-you.

BTW, I taught my kids not to fight with fists or stones or sticks.  I've always found power in turning the other cheek.  And my kids were not inclined toward martial arts, but rather found soccer to their liking.

Steve