I confess to agreeing more with Eugene than Michael on this one.  First,
one can equate, say Zionism with Nazism on various grounds without
anyone taking offense.  Both are nouns, both are names for political
movements.  This does not strike me as offensive, even though I am a
Zionist who regards Nazism as evil.  And all I mean to say is that
people ought to be as free on this list to make arguments that the
American government is dominated by Zionists as they are to claim that
the United States is a Protestant Empire.  Michael may even remember
that, while finding all arguments for the former utterly unconvincing, I
am fairly sympathetic with the latter.  The issue is strictly what may
be said, not the truth value of assertions and, for better or worse,
while I think "kike" clearly crosses the line, my line is not crossed by
calling the U.S. Government "Zionist dominated," however mistaken I
think that may be, and however ghastly the history of that accusation
has been.

Mark A. Graber

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/13/05 2:48 PM >>>
You are way off the mark, unless you mean to criticize the dominant
school of American religious historiography, including people like
Martin Marty and Sydney Ahlstrom, among others, who routinely referred
to America as a Protestant Empire.  You don't think that I invented the
term out of whole cloth, do you?  (By the way, as near as I can tell,
the term fist appeared in the 1840s through the pen of Rev. Robert
Baird, an American Calvinist preacher, in a book he wrote styled
Religion in the United States of America, first published in Glascow in
1844.  Baird, for better or worse is reckoned by some as one of the
founders of that historiography, a historiography that was dominant for
well over a century.)

Equating "zionist-occupied government" with "Protestant Empire" is
unacceptable and I take great personal offense.  It is like equating
Nazism and laissez-faire Capitalism, both being theories of political
organization.  And it is equally offensive.