I don't know why we should be limited to the particulars of Supreme Court
decisions when we think about this.  I suggest that the approach I outlined
is deeply embedded in the statutory and judge-made law of all the states.
And, if I'm right about, then the relevant constitutional doctrines of
substantive due process liberty would indeed give great weight to that
long-standing and wide-spread legal tradition (Troxel v. Granville).

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Volokh, Eugene <vol...@law.ucla.edu> wrote:

>                 This raises a fascinating and practically very important
> question (because there are more than 10 times as many American parents who
> authorize circumcision for nonreligious reasons than for religious
> reasons):  Do Meyer/Pierce rights extend to the right to raise one’s child
> in the sense of selecting an education for the child, setting behavior
> rules for the child, choosing a place to live with the child, and so on, or
> do they also have the constitutional right (not just a common-law right) to
> physically alter the child’s body, including for nonmedical reasons?  When
> I last checked the caselaw on the subject, the Supreme Court cases weren’t
> clear on that.  Are there cases I’m missing on that?****
>
> ** **
>
>                 To be sure, I agree that parents are generally allowed to
> let their children put themselves at risk in various ways, such as by
> playing tackle football and not wearing enough sunscreen.  But that doesn’t
> tell us much about whether that’s a *constitutional* right.  And indeed I
> don’t think that laws banning child labor, for instance, have been judged
> as interfering with parental rights (imagine *Prince *without the
> religious motivation), even though many such laws (again, imagine *Prince*)
> are pretty clearly overbroad.  Likewise, I would think that a ban on ear
> piercing, tattooing, etc. of minors, even when the parents order such
> actions, would be constitutional, though of course that’s part of the
> dispute between us.****
>
> ** **
>
>                 Is there dispositive caselaw I’m missing here?****
>
> ** **
>
>                 Eugene****
>
> ** **

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053