As I understood Michael's observation, it was that the topside briefs
in *Trinity
Lutheran* argue at great length that churches, as such, can virtually never
be disfavored vis-a-vis similarly situated secular institutions, under both
the Free Exercise and Equal Protection Clauses -- whereas the writers of
those briefs would, of course, strongly argue that a legislature generally
can, and sometimes must, treat churches *more favorably* than such secular
institutions.  His fear, as I understood it (but perhaps I misunderstood
him), was that the emphasis on formal equality in the briefs might prompt
the Court to settle upon a holding closer to strict formal equality than it
has ever previously announced -- which could be damaging to claims for
permissive accommodations (akin to the fears raised by the "HHS can't favor
churches" argument of the petitioners in *Zubik*).