Here’s how I understand the state of play with regard to
discrimination in favor of and against religious institutions and beliefs.

                1.  When it comes to government spending, the Court has already
generally taken the view that religious institutions can’t get special
benefits.  See Texas Monthly v. Bullock and the implications of the old funding
cases, even as modified by Mitchell and Zelman.  The question in Trinity
Lutheran is where we should move more towards equal treatment – no special
money for religious institutions, but no special exclusion from generally
available money (subject to Locke) – or have a rule in which discrimination in
favor of religious institutions in funding is forbidden, but discrimination
against them is allowed.

                2.  When it comes to direct regulation, the law is already
pretty clear.  The government may not discriminate against religious practices
and institutions, see Lukumi; I don’t think anyone is challenging that in
Trinity.  But the government may (in some instances) exempt only religious
practices and institutions, see Yoder; Frazee; Cutter, and in a few situations
must exempt religious practices and institutions, even if it doesn’t exempt
similar secular ones, see Hosanna-Tabor and what remains of Yoder and Frazee.
I’m not sure this is right; perhaps the rule should be mandatory equal
treatment when it comes to regulation and exemption, as Harlan argued in Welsh
and as Stevens argued in Boerne.  But the rule we have is pretty well settled.

                It may be theoretically possible that this clear state of the
law in item 2 will somehow be undermined by equal treatment for religious
institutions in item 1.  But I don’t see that as especially likely – and I thus
don’t see why it makes sense for religious institutions to give up the
opportunity for equal treatment with regard to funding, on the hope that
somehow this will preserve favorable treatment with regard to exemptions.

                Eugene