At 8/29/2007 06:40 PM, you wrote:

> > >If you have two watt meters and an antenna matching device you can put
> > one
> > >wattmeter between the transmitter and the matching device and tune it for
> > >minimum reflected power on the first meter. Then with a second meter
> > >between the tuner and the mismatched load you can see the second
> > wattmeter
> > >that is reading the reflected power. The second wattmeter will have a
> > >higher forward power reading than the first due to the added re-reflected
> > >power.
> >
> > This doesn't sound right either, as there should be no reflected power at
> > the antenna if it's been matched further down the line.  The tuner would
> > be
> > adjusted so as to create a conjugate impedance of the antenna at the end
> > of
> > the feeding coax, thus eliminating the mismatch.
> >
> > My guess is that the higher power reading on the wattmeter is due to the
> > weird impedances it's seeing on both its input & output.
> >
> > Bob NO6B
> >

>Hi Bob,
>
>Please read again what I wrote. I am not sure that you are following how the
>meters are in the circuit. Remember that whatever you do at the transmitter
>end of a transmission line has no affect on what is going on in the line
>itself. The only thing that will change the swr on the line is what you do
>at the load.
>
>73
>Gary  K4FMX

OK, after talking to a senior RF engineer at lunch here at work I think I
understand what's going on.  The part that threw me was having the matching
circuit in the middle of the feedline & the fact that any reflected power
from the load MUST be totally re-reflected back by the matching circuit,
otherwise there would be power reflected back to the TX, which by
definition does not occur in this example.  Because of the multiple
re-reflections between the matching circuit & load resulting in multiple
waves back & forth within that coax section, typical single-wave thinking
doesn't apply.

I guess it's a useful way to illustrate why coax gets lossier if you use a
tuner far from the antenna.

Bob NO6B