_____

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jesse Lloyd
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 9:39 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Duplexers

If your coax is the same impedance as your transmitter, but different than
your load, can it still be a transformer though?  Is it possible to
transform a load that isn't 50 ohms to 50 ohms using 50 ohm coax?

Yes it always acts as a transformer when the load impedance is not the same
as the coax impedance.

You can not transform any impedance to 50 ohms with a 50 ohm cable. You can
transform to something above or below the 50 ohm cable impedance.

The reason changing the length of the coax to a transmitter helps sometimes,
even though the transformation of impedance is not to 50 ohms, is that the
transmitter may see an impedance that it is happier with than what the
original transformed impedance was.

Yes your right VSWR is the ratio between Vmax and Vmin, node and anodes, of
the interference pattern caused by standing waves.  Even still there is a
point where the voltage is at a minimum on the line.  What happens if that
point is at the transmitters output... does it help keep the heat down in
the transmitter due to high SWR?

It doesn't matter where the min and max are on the line. The same amount of
reflected power will be seen at any point. Reflected power does NOT get back
into the transmitter. It gets re-reflected back towards the antenna when it
reaches the transmitter circuits.

If you have a 100 watt transmitter with 10 watts reflected from the load
your wattmeter will read 110 watts forward and 10 watts reflected. The extra
10 watts forward power comes from the 10 watts that is reflected from the
load and re-reflected at the transmitter. The re-reflected power adds to the
original 100 watts forward power for a total of 110 watts forward power. All
of the 100 watts eventually gets radiated by the antenna. This is of course
disregarding any line loss which would lower the reflected power indication
by the amount of line loss. Line loss would also claim a portion of the
re-reflected power too.

If you have two watt meters and an antenna matching device you can put one
wattmeter between the transmitter and the matching device and tune it for
minimum reflected power on the first meter. Then with a second meter between
the tuner and the mismatched load you can see the second wattmeter that is
reading the reflected power. The second wattmeter will have a higher forward
power reading than the first due to the added re-reflected power.

With a mismatched load the transmitter may run hotter because it is under or
overloaded due to the non 50 ohm load that it is seeing but it is not
dissipating any of the reflected power. Many solid state transmitters are
sensitive to reactive loads  and may draw more current because of this.

73

Gary  K4FMX