As a side note for this discussion, I think Jeff's doing a great job of
explaining how transmission line theory works...

For those that want to dive in a lot further (e.g. Do the math), the
ARRL Antenna Book has a whole section dedicated to this topic, and it's
written well enough that a mathematical dolt like myself can still
follow the concepts and not scratch my head at the math.

Too bad the book is something like $70 bucks... I won my copy as a door
prize at a hamfest or I'd have never bought one... the book is
definitely worth the "price of admission" and the CD along with it
contains some useful tools that just add to the value...

Nate WY0X