Peter,
I will take a stab at this and some of the others can jump in and help
out also.

Yes, you are correct in your assumption as to how a community repeater
works. It is a single channel repeater with the ability to have
different user groups that each have their own PL or DPL Tone. The
repeater can only handle one conversation or user group at a time.

Typically the mobile radios had a wire connected to either the hang up
button on the microphone or they used a hang-up box that contained a
switch inside it. The way this worked was when the microphone was hung
up in the holder, the radio was in PL mode and you could only hear
conversations from your group. When the microphone was picked up or
taken off hook to make a call, the radio was then changed to carrier
squelch mode and you could hear if the repeater was in use by another
group, or was available for use by you and your group. If it was busy,
you just waited your turn and if it was clear, you were good to go. It
was not uncommon to have 6-8 or more different user groups on a single
community repeater.

Joe

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Dakota Summerhawk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think I know the answer to this but I am going to confirm it. The
> community tone board only filters out what talk group you don't want to
> hear. And it won't let you if you have multiple groups on the same
pair talk
> over each other. Am I correct on this? The reason I ask is that we have
> several groups that want to be on the same pair but want different
PL's  but