At 12:47 PM 01/29/10, you wrote:
>Can anyone burn a 2716 Prom chip for a GLB ID-1 Ide'er?
>
>Not a standard hex file.  have some docs.
>
>Thanks
>
>Fred
>wa2...@arrl.net

Actually it's is a standard hex file. It's just created a bit weirdly.

The binary pattern in it contains the call sign as a 1-bit stream.
You could have multiple call signs as data bit 0 was one call
sign, data bit 1 was another, data bit 2 was a third, etc.

I forget if a "1" programmed bit was tone off or tone on, but
location 0 had to be programmed with the tone off.

Just read the old chip, map the bits on a piece of graph paper,
and it will all fall into place.

Just map out what you want as a new call sign (or several call signs)
as a string of bits, then map them as two digit hex characters,
then program the PROM accordingly.

While Hex Workshop makes it a lot easier, I've used Notepad
to do the editing and the calculator in windows (in Scientific mode)
to do the binary to hex (and back) conversions.
Hex Workshiop is available at <http://www.bpsoft.com>

I've only seen one of these IDers, and it was wired with a
couple of extra mods...
1) it had a 5vDC wall wart transformer so  that if the AC
power failed it would change from one call sign to another
that had a trailing "/DC" at the end of the ID sequence
2) the switch on the rack door changed the ID to a
trailing "/DO".

When you come right down to it, the GLB IDer was a good
product 20-25 years ago, but a $20 ID-O-Matic kit that you
can program with a computer serial port is a helluva lot less
hassle these days (and it supports two messages - you can
connect a 5vDC wall wart or a door open switch if you want to).
See <http://www.hamgadgets.com/product_info.php?products_id=64>
And there is no fancy software - hyperterminal will do.

Mike WA6ILQ