From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of n...@no6b.com
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:31 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Micor Stock Power Supplies

At 2/27/2010 09:56 AM, you wrote:
>I have been following the 9.6 Volt Micor Voltage information. One post
>indicated that if one were to replace the Stock MICOR Supply with a
>switcher and add the 9.6 Volt circuit, the monthly electric bill to run
>the repeater could be significantly reduced. Is this due to the fact that
>the switcher, in the standby mode, draws much less current and therefore
>cost less to operate or is it this combined with efficiently when the
>repeater is in operation. I have stock MICOR and MASTR II Supplies and
>would like your expertise on the merits of replacing them with one large
>switcher or a couple switchers. As always thanks in advance for your input
>and sharing your experiences with us.

A local multi-band repeater system is having IMD problems, & requested a
CTCSS change to resolve one of them. After describing the "sound" of the
low-level (~-70 dBc) spurs I'm seeing a few hundred kHz either side of the
440 output of the system, the owner told me that the IMD hitting his other
inputs sounded the same. I asked if he was using a switching supply to
power the system & he said yes. I recommended that he replace it with a
linear supply; I suspect that will solve all of his IMD problems. Will let
you know...

Bob NO6B