Sorry, I cannot answer that question.  My reference was more toward the
replacement of an existing linear supply or new installations such as
GMRS or Amateur Radio systems - repeater or otherwise.  Whether or not
their rule applies to newer Motorola or other commercial radio
manufacturers -  I'm not certain.

I am told that Motorola offers alternative powering methods to systems
that normally come with switching supplies.  I'm not totally sure
why...  possibly there are companies that aren't totally sold on
"switcher" technology?

Unfortunately, like with so many things, price dictates quality.  If you
buy a JAN crystal, be prepared to have it drift all over the place.  If
you buy a cheap switcher, be prepared to have it throw garbage out all
over the place.  While the better switchers like Samlex and DuraComm are
good performers, many of us will buy something cheap.   With education,
more of us will buy the better product, like International Crystals with
temperature compensation performed by them.

Kevin