Hello Doug

Pre amplifiers are nifty gadgets.  In my email I am seeking some personal
references about this particular radio and a pre-amp which
may have been tried wioth some level of success.

When you start inserting GAIN ahead of a front end you have to be careful of
overloading the system and introducing
harful side effects.

In very densly congested sites ( lots o f transmitters ) you may havdet
ocomprimise  the sensitivity of the reciever  for selectivity.
Crystal filter may help - I have found using a receiver with a tight front end
and / or sufficient preselection will triumph over trying to make
a lesser piece of equipment work.  Example a GE Mastr III is a super reciever -

In my case I am trying to set up a clients 2 recievers with a little additional
sensitivity - we are using this equipment in a remote site
away form other forms of interference ( boondock tower site ).

Some manufacturers are ARR and EMR - EMR  makes a bi-polar amp with variable
gain.
ARR also has a fixed gain version -
ARR was very popular with GaS fet low noise stuff for 800 Mhz - used a lot of
them - exccellent results.  Costs $100 thru $350

Best r egards
Ed Folta
Com/Rad INc