> > Just to update everyone, we have found that switching the clients to
>> AppleTalk rather than TCP/IP has eliminated all the errors we were
>> experiencing (As suggested by Brooks Peters in the thread "G4
>> Client's OT Wiped Out by Backup via TCP/IP"). The backup is not as
> > quite as fast (say 40 MB/min vs 50) but it does work.

>A timely thread!  I just today moved our DAT drive (HP SureStore DDS-3
>external) from one machine to another, and copied all the Retrospect stuff
>to make it the new machine.  I've immediately got this 519 error backing up
>my own G4.

We have 519's like a rash when backing up over a mixed 10/100 network using 3Com
SuperStack 10/100 autoswitching hubs. Backup server is a beige G3 266 tower with a
DDS-2 DAT drive.

519's are the order of the day with the one G4 machione. It has work files on an
external 12 Gb FireWire drive and I think we've only once had an error-free backup.
Changing to AppleTalk did not help in any way.

Some days most machines (20+) give a 519 which makes me think network or backup server.

I am going to test a Cisco Catalyst Switch (with Spanning Tree turned off) and see
what happens.

Regards