Here's an oddity.  I used to get a lot of 519 errors when I had DAT
tape changers, but since switching to DLT I hardly have any problems
and the problems I do have are directly related to the end users
machine.

I ran DLT on a mixed 10BaseT with Hubs and switches for about 6
months before I moved to a new building and have 10/100 switched
(Cisco 5500's) network.  All of the machines I back up now are
100BaseT full Duplex.  The Mac I was doing the backups on is a
9600/G4-450.   The machine I am currently doing the backups on is a
7600/G3-250.   I built a cable to connect the external DLT drive to
the internal SCSI bus. because the internal bus is SCSI-2 Fast
(10MB/sec) while the external connector is only SCSI-2 (5MB/Sec).

The speed difference between the two machines only dropped 2-3MB/min
on average (averaging about 100MB/min).   The 7600 is a good
combination.  Low volume Filemaker Server during the day, Retrospect
backups at night.